1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Happened To Hour Long Syndicated Reruns After The Early 80's

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, May 29, 2016.

1. Message #21 of 67 Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    Scott511

Scott511 Stunt Coordinator

Scott
    Inspired by this discussion, I dug deep into my TV Guide collection to see what hour long series I might have forgotten that were syndicated in my area. At random I chose a June 1986 guide, it's the Evansville/Paducah edition. I won't go back through the shows I already mentioned in my other posts, but here's what I forgot. The short lived CBS series Whiz Kids aired WEVV Saturday mornings, why I didn't record this is a mystery. The same station ran Black Sheep Squadron also. Saturday evenings KBSI (how I always wanted to pull this Cape Girardeau station in with a antenna) ran Battlestar Galactica. On Sundays WEVV also aired The White Shadow, and KBSI also aired Starsky & Hutch and Whiz Kids. WCEE ran Barnaby Jones at midnight Monday-Friday. I just focused on 70's and 80's series out of this guide, but also many other hour long series were airing too. Mannix, Outer Limits, The Wild Wild West, Star Trek to name a few, and Rockford, Buck Rogers, etc that's been discussed.

Moving up 10 years to July 1996, and the same Evansville/Paducah edition of TV Guide finds the hour long series from years past have moved to the cable stations, USA Network, TNT, etc. The lone hold out that summer was KBSI airing the original Star Trek at 3AM in the morning weekdays. The local stations syndicated programming was made up of 30 minute series, talk shows, and cartoons. The only hour long programs were the "new" in syndication TV series, Baywatch, Hercules, etc.

jcroy likes this.
  2. Message #22 of 67 Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (As an aside).

The original Battlestar Galactica was one of the first non-cartoon shows I latched onto.

Since it went off the air, I was "jonesing" to watch it again during the decades when I was still "young". But I didn't live anywhere which had a station which played reruns of Battlestar Galactica. So eventually I was watching Star Trek reruns instead. I wasn't into Buck Rogers as much.

(I was largely out-of-the-loop and ignorant of the VHS and laserdisc releases of various Battlestar Galactica episodes edited together. When I finally heard about them, I largely didn't care anymore).

It was until the mid-2000s when Universal finally released the original Battlestar Galactica on dvd, which by then I didn't really care much about anymore either.

It wasn't until i was going through a "mid life crisis" (for lack of a better description), that I wanted to watch the original Battlestar Galactica agan.

3. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    KBSI was a haven for classic TV at one point, albeit they were showing butchered episodes. As for hour long shows on KBSI, they also had The B.J./Lobo Show, and they had a cut down hour long version of Championship Wrestling that originated from WMC in Memphis; the Memphis version was 1 1/2 hours and broadcast live, but they syndicated a non-live version to Cape, Evansville, Paducah, Dallas (after becoming USWA), Jackson, TN., and other good sized towns.

4. danielanderson6500

Daniel
    My NBC station, which was based in Greenville S.C. aired St. Elsewhere reruns in 1988-89, before Sale Of The Century. I did see St. Elsewhere on TV Land in the mid-90s too.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  5. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    Glad you resurrected this thread Daniel. Welcome to the HTF!

I was stationed at Luke AFB in Arizona in the early 90's A local station (Channel 3) would air uncut episodes of Combat!, Mission:Impossible, Airwolf, Hawaii Five-0 and others after midnight. It started me collecting these shows on VHS to keep. I never thought we would have the access to network length episodes the we we do today.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    TBS in the early to at least mid 1990's used to air hour long reruns in the morning on weekdays. Little House on the Prairie, The Love Boat, and Matlock are what I remember being staples.

Would always try to catch Little House if there was a snow day or I was staying home from school for something like a cold.

7. Ron1973

Bob, does memory serve me correct that KAIT also aired The Waltons?

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes, they did. I don't know just what years as it's one I absolutely do not like so pretty much ignored it when it was on. IIRC those were the only 3 "classic" hour length TV shows that aired on the station.

9. Ron1973

I had to have been very small, so I'd venture mid-late 70's. I vaguely remember it.

10. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

What's crazy is when they run two half-hour cut versions back to back of a show that was originally an hour long in the first place. Yes, it's happened.

11. Ron1973

It seems I remember Knight Rider being cut down to 30 minutes, though I don't believe 2 shows were run back to back. I was amazed a little while back when I FINALLY realized Knight Rider was an hour long show!

12. danielanderson6500

Daniel
    I used to watch Little House on the Prairie when i was a kid when i first got cable. the dish i had at that time got TV Land too, so i could watch stuff like St. Elsewhere, China Beach(or was that on Lifetime?), Thirtysomething(or was that also on Lifetime?) Perry Mason was also on back then too. Now that i think of it, Little House and Perry Mason were on TBS.

LeoA likes this.
  13. danielanderson6500

Daniel
    I watched "China Beach" when i was a kid on Lifeitme. Didn't "Sisters" air there too? "Thirtysomething" was on Lifetime at one point too.

14. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I remember Perry Mason on TBS, I forgot about that one.

15. Message #35 of 67 Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    TNT did full runs of most of the old mgm produced TV dramas of the 60s; Dr Kildare, man from UNCLE, Mr. Novak and even short lived shows like Hondo and Cains hundred made full runs on TNT back in the 80s.

But to get back to the main topic, as long as I have lived shows n the Fresno area (1979), I have never seen a hour long show syndicated on any of the local networks that wasn't first run.

16. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I thought CBN ran The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in the early 80's? That was my first introduction to it at least. I remember TNT running them in the overnight/early morning hours in the 90's. I believe that's when the missing from syndication episodes re-appeared. Harlan Ellison's "The Pieces of Fate Affair" being a key episode.

17. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Hour-long shows were not pulling the ratings in syndication, but half-hours were, a development that ironically led to one of the most successful hour-long shows ever. Dick Wolf structured Law & Order the way he did so "Law" and "Order" could be sold as half-hour episodes in syndication. And so began the empire.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  18. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    In the case of Love, American Style, for some reason Paramount decided to sell the series in reruns as early as September 6, 1971, which was when the first two seasons went into reruns on ABC Daytime.

~Ben

19. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Cain's Hundred never had a full run on TNT. They aired maybe a half dozen or so episodes and that was it.

20. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I remember watching Charlie's Angels in syndication in the 1980s on a local station. Lost in Space was another popular hour long show in syndie. However, I never saw The Bionic Woman in reruns until the Sci-Fi Network aired them in the 90s, and I've never seen Police Woman in reruns until DECADES aired them recently.