What Happened to Firewire

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CarlosGH, Dec 30, 2004.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

I thought that firewire (aka DTV link, IEEE 1394, iLink) was the connection to end all connections. Now almost nothing has firewire, except a few HDTVs and a handfull of OTA recievers. Plus if either of those have it, the price jumps $500. Was the industry scared that firewire would lead to rampant copy via PCs?

Is firewire dead, and HDMI the new king? I kick myself for letting a Samsung T-165 pass me by at Best Buy. It was clearanced for $100 and now only sells on ebay for $250+ minimum!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Where have you been? [​IMG] Denon is now incoroporating i.Link into their (more expensive) DVD players because it's obvious now that they'll never get SACD certification from Sony. Sony, Pioneer, and Yamaha now all have receivers (and players) with i.Link. Anthem has announced they are going to release a hardware upgrade for the C-1 and C-2 pre/pros, and the new Integra pre/pro will have i.Link too. Some of us are hopeful that Lexicon will also offer an i.Link upgrade for the MC-8 and MC-12.

Now, i.Link still has a "price of admission", in that it's still mostly expensive gear, but the price is dropping.

HDMI is no solution in my opinion, because:

a) A lot of gear that includes HDMI will not pass audio signals at all (yet).

b) HDMI cannot pass SACD right now, also due to get "certification" from Sony, and Sony is supporting i.Link.

c) From what I've read, i.Link can be a completely jitterless conection for audio. HDMI cannot be.

But maybe things will change. Personally, I see it right now as HDMI for video, and i.Link for audio.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I'm holding out hope (possibly in vain) that hi-def DVD (either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) will allow for firewire in addition to DVI... otherwise, I won't be part of the HD crowd for several more years (my Mitsu is only a year old, and I'm not going to upgrade for the foreseeable future)...

The other possibility (?) is a converter from DVI to firewire (both are digital, but beyond that I am only guessing if it is even possible)...

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I thought that the issue with firewire is copy protection. Firewire allows unprotected HD material to pass through which is the main thing that's preventing most hardware from being released with firewire connection. HDMI, has HDCP which prevents recording HD material, video or audio.

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

Oh, man..... I thought that was the issue with allowing component (analog, hence no copy protection), but firewire being digital, I thought it offered the same copy protection as DVI. If it does not, and the industry snubs the thousands of HDTV owners who do not have DVI, this could get ugly... Thus far, Mitsubishi is the only manufacturer who has said they will upgrade existing TVs to DVI/HDMI (AFAIK), but for a hefty fee of $995 (or something in that range). Better to simply wait until I upgrade in about 6-7 years...

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

DVI won't pass audio. Only HDMI will.

I don't know about the copy protection stuff though.

7. CarlosGH

Well, ilink is appearing in some high end recievers/universal DVD players, but for audio only. Happened to video? Its alot better to pass full audio, video, and control on one single cable. Plus you buy a firewire cable for pennies and inch, while HDMI cables cost a bundle.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

i.Link was never meant for video. (I don't know if it has the bandwidth for audio and video actually.) Theoretically, HDMI can pass audio and video, but SACD isn't allowed right now.

I thought DVI cables were more expensive but HDMI was cheaper? (I'm not using either ... yet.)

9. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I have followed the ota HD & firewire for some time, so I jumped at those t165 units priced under $100 at BB.
    I now have two set up with both of my htpc's.
    Its great to record HD to the XP box.
    Hang in there and keep looking at BB, it seems some people return them for repair/return. BB sends them out to be worked on & then places them back up for sale.

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

What's a T-165?

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    While my receiver is gone for the next month, my interim idea solution was going to be connecting my DVD player to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro via firewire so I can get the best sound possible, including use of high-rez audio.

Looks like it won't work. [​IMG]

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...4&product=4925

That's what I have, FWIW.

I was told at AVS that Firewire doesn't work at all yet between electronics like receivers and DVD's and PC. Yes?

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    T-165 = Samsung SIRT-165 OTA HD reciever with 2 firewire ports. It's mated with many a JVC and Panasonic D-VHS deck for OTA 1080i recording.

13. CarlosGH

I need to search all Best Buy's in Texas and look for one that stayed behind. I think there is one in Plano, but to have them answer is a big problem.

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

IEEE 1394a provides bandwidth of up to 400 Mb/s-- plenty of bandwidth for multiple 96kHz-24 bit audio streams. It also supports 5C content protection. On the other hand, DVI and HDMI can't be networked, so perhaps the lawyers find this more to their liking.

It would be nice if more manufacturers incorporated firewire into their consumer products-- not everyone can afford flagship receivers.