What's new

What happened to DVDFile??? (3 Viewers)

Bill Hunt

Insider

I doubt it. I'm sure it will continue in some form or other. It just might take some time for whoever replaces Pete as editor to get up to speed. That's just my guess - I honestly really have no idea beyond that.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Since we are on the subject and since Bill has checked in, let me say that one thing I keep going back to Bits for is the cover photos of upcoming releases. Generally the have filtered out all of the titles and rereleases I have no interest in and I can pre-shop very quickly.

Its much nicer to sift through cover art than a long list of names. If they don't put the cover up I'm a lot more likely to miss a release.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to see DVDFile go ... I checked it for daily updates starting in November 1998, and always loved the reviews; especially the ones by Peter Bracke which were always very unique.

I was really looking forward to his opinion of the Star Wars Trilogy box.

Anyway, if anybody from that site is reading this, thanks for the years of reviews and news! It was really appreciated, guys!

Of the three main sites that I visited every day starting in 1998, only the DigitalBits now remains ... Hang in there Bill, we need ya'!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll always remember Peter Bracke for his
hilarious, but dead-on accurate review of Artisan's
recent Dirty Dancing Special Edition.

In fact, it had me laughing so hard that I
contacted Peter to tell him how much I enjoyed
the review.

Peter, if you are reading this, I wish you the
very best. You should be very proud of your
efforts with DVDFILE.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thanks for your reply Bill.

I am sad to see Peter leave Dvdfile. :frowning: Oh well I still have his books to look forward to.

I guess its now Digital Bits, HTF and possibly dvdreview (which I stopped reading a while ago).

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
Man, this is depressing. This is exactly how I felt when Ron stopped doing reviews here (and before the current reviewers started regularly posting reviews).

Since there are no longer many sites that give the type of reviews I like, I have to hope that Dan and others from DVDFile will keep it going - or at least show up on other sites.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

I hear ya. That would be the ideal thing to happen. I will miss Brackes humor though.

Eric Larsen

Agent
While I refrained from mentioning Peter and DVD File over in the Bits thread, I commend him for the site and Ultimate DVD. That was 340 pages of great reviews and a fantastic read.

Peter deserves some break time. Doesn't anybody remember the Bits slowing down around their book coming out as well?

The time would be well spent reading both. From the sound of it, they could use the financial support. As both sites are free, that's the least those of us writing/reading threads about DVD websites could do.

Jo_C

Second Unit
OK, here's the news you all have waited for...DVDFile is back for a brand-new season of reviews and news! I just saw some new reviews for such MGM titles as "Strawdogs" and "Walking Tall". Welcome back, DVDFile!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
While I'm glad to hear that DVDFile is back I'm sad to hear that Peter has left the site. His reviews and columns have become an almost daily staple in my morning web surfing. I'll definitely be picking up his book and I wish him the best! Thanks for all the great morning readings Peter!!

Chris S.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
To keep with the butt-kissing theme, I'd also like to wish Peter the best with or without DVDFile. It certainly was, IMO, the top of the crop when things were on.

And since he's responded in this thread, thanks Bill Hunt for all of your efforts as well. The Bits' "Upcoming DVD Art" section alone makes release day and planning ahead all the more fun!

Bill Hunt

Insider
On behalf of all of us DVD oldtimers (Pete, Guido, Steve Tannehill, Todd, myself and others), thanks for all the kind words. Todd and I might have a few years left in us. Maybe. We'll knock back the Geritol and see how it goes... ;-)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's been updated with a couple of new reviews. But no explanation of why it was static for 13 days, no announcement of a new editor. I'm happy it's been touched, but I still think a short announcement of what the hell is going on would be the courteous thing to provide long-time readers.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Allow me to add my two cents' worth:

DVD File had some really in-depth interviews with prominent Hollywood players when it came to certain films. Among them were Michael Thau, Jonathan Gaines, Richard Donner, and Tom Mankiewicz on the release of "Superman" on DVD in 2001 (extremely in-depth and well written!), the "Lord of the Rings" film and DVD projects, and all of the interviews pertaining to the "Alien Quadrilogy" release last year, among others. I'll give them this: they were extremely insightful when it came to very prominent major titles, and the interviews among the best online.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I did notice that the Browser title has been updated to say, "News of my death have been greatly exaggerated." So, the ever delightful M. Bracke is still around, although no new updates though...

Rafael.

chrisMCG

Agent
Uhhh... so I'm confused... it doesn't seem that Pete has left us... and there are new reviews on the site (including STAR WARS)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks