What's new

What happened to Christopher Pike in the Star Trek The Cage? (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I remember seeing episodes later where he was in a wheelchair and pretty messed up looking. I gather he was in some accident.

What was that accident. Email me directly if you don't want to post the answer here.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
What, and pass up the chance to put my Trek-knowledge on display? :D
Pike was exposed to "delta rays" shortly before "The Menagerie", which crippled him. At the end of the episode, he was transported to planet Talos IV, where the inhabitants let him live out fantasies of still being young and healthy.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
If Im not mistaked Roddenberry decided to use that footage with Pike from the original pilot they submited,as a 2 parter instead of letting it go to waste on a shelf.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
And Jeffrey Hunter, who played Pike in the Star Trek pilot (The Cage) was not available. Hence the need to have Pike, played by another actor (tough work, huh? Sit, stare straight ahead, and beep for yes and no?) scarred and unable to speak in the flash-back two-parter episode (The Menagerie).

I'm ashamed as a Star Trek fan to admit it, but I might have titles The Cage and The Menagerie attached to the wrong episodes. Anybody? Am I in need of correction?

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
No you're right Hugh The Cage is the original pilot and The Menagerie is the 2 part episode.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Yes, after leaving command of the Enterprise to James T. Kirk, Christopher Pike was promoted to Fleet Captain (one rank below a Commodore). Later in his career, he was conducting an inspection aboard a starship when a baffle plate ruptured, showering him in deadly radiation.

I guess the inspection failed, huh?

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
So why the switch from Jeffrey Hunter to William Shatner? Why wasn't the series done with Pike? I remember hearing that he wanted too much money. But, I don't know if that's true. Why would he even do the pilot if he didn't want to do the show?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Hunter was simply unavailable due to contractual obligations. Ergo, Shatner was used in the second pilot for the series, "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks