What's new

What happened to all the D-VHS hype? (1 Viewer)

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Just wondering, because I haven't seen a thread about DVHS in a long time. Have any good titles come out? Has the hardware price dropped any?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I know a bunch of other titles have been released but no one has been buzzing about it for a while

capt

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
We have a deck at the home theater store I work at on Saturdays. I really like the A/V quality. I just can't get past the fact that it is still tape. Tape degrades far too quickly for me.

D-VHS, for me, is the argument for getting HD-DVD as soon as possible.....

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I would say "hype" is an over-statement. As with any new format, there are those who bought into it because it's new and/or because money is no object and they wanted something few others have.

It continues to be a tape-based format which, by definition degrades and will thus (among other reasons) evoke little "hype."

Patrick pretty much sums it up; there are other threads which go into a little more detail, but the topic isn't worth my effort in locating and pasting them in here for you.

It's the wrong format at the wrong time and at the wrong price.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I hadn't thought about it at all until you brought it up. Oh well, was never interested to begin with.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Woo-hoo!!!! D-VHS!!! Yipee!!! Tape!!! It will look sooo good on my HDTV!!! DVD is dead, all hail D-VHS!!!
^^^ There it is, right there, your D-VHS hype brought to you today by Rick from Vegas. Anytime you need anything, you be sure to let me know! :)

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Bash the format if you will folks. Just let it be known that at 28 mbps it blows dvd out of the water. Come to think of it, it blows Broadcast HD out of the water. And if you think that HD-DVD will best HD-VHS, you have something else coming.

Chris

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting on the sidelines for a STB/Satellite Receiver that will connect to it before purchasing, but I am keeping a list of what's available when I do buy:
Artisan: Terminator 2, and the following announced with no dates: Basic Instinct, Van Wilder, Terminator, Total Recall
Dreamworks: Peacemaker, Galaxy Quest, Haunting
Fox: X-Men, Independence Day, Entrapment, Don't Say A Word, Big Momma's House, Behind Enemy Lines, Fight Club, Men of Honor, and on 11/5: High Crimes, Kiss of the Dragon, Planet of the Apes
Universal: U-571, End of Days, Backdraft

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I know a bunch of other titles have been released but no one has been buzzing about it for a while
Well, when you look at the titles which have been released or announced for release, it's no wonder any interest has evaporated. Who's going to spend $1,000 plus on a VHS player just so that they can watch such cinematic masterpieces as End of Days, Entrapment, High Crimes, Big Momma's House or The Haunting in D-VHS? It's like the studios are too scared to release good movies to the format.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
And if you think that HD-DVD will best HD-VHS, you have something else coming.
It's good to know you've already seen what HD-DVD is capable of. Please ask the other members of the DVD consortium when HD-DVD will be available.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
But it's okay to surmise the performance of an HLD-X9 without actually seeing one in action. (??)

- Walter.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Too true! However, I have a friend that bought a digital, Hi-Def VHS VCR just because he was disatisfied with the recordings/picture on standard VHS machines.
His TV is an aging 20" RCA. He is yet to get a DVD player.
Not slamming smaller monitors :), but this does amuse me! And to be fair, he did get a deal on it; about $700 I believe for a Mistubishi. I was just thinking today though, he could have gotten a DVD player and a nice film collection for that! Oh well, his money...

Gruson

Second Unit
Well I still plan on buying one. You guys are forgetting that you can actually tape HD shows, movies, etc. and then play them back in HD.

When the next generation of decks come out, they should be around $800.

28Mbps KILLS DVD.

I really cannot wait to watch T2 and LOTR on DVHS.

Yes, it's tape but it's also THE BEST quality that is out right now. HDVD is still too far away for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks