What good is a universal player if it does good audio and bad video?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobH, Feb 19, 2003.

1. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

The Secrets of Home Theater results on the Pioneer Elite DV-45A show it to be an even worse video player than the DV-47Ai! Nearly bottom of the pile. How frustrating for those of us looking for ONE player for all. Maybe that's Polyanna, huh?

There are good Sony DVD/SACD players and good Panasonic DVD/DVD-A players but n'er the twain shall meet. Neither parent wants to touch the other's technology. I guess for now it's "separate bedrooms."

2. terry deto

terry deto Stunt Coordinator

Terry
    check out the Yamaha dvd-s2300
    got a good write up in sound & vision

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

If I were you, I would check the 45A out before you condemn it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the picture quality.

I think the supposed flaws with this player are totally and completely overblown, particularly the chroma bug, which is invisible with the test scenes mentioned in the artcile.

Then again, it does appear that the bass management is FUBAR, and the LFE level is low.

BGL

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm waiting for the upcoming Denon universal player. Bet that one will be done right.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The 45a has been very well reviewed elsewhere. I would check that out. As has been mentioned even by the Secret's guys themselves, their ratings were meant to overly emphasize small differences between players. Plus, note that Secrets is missing 1/2 the equation: audio quality.

I had a 45a, then upgraded to a 47ai. I like the heftier build quality of the 47ai, but if I hadn't gotten the deal that I did on it, I would have been perfectly happy with the 45a.

BTW, the 2300 got poor marks in S&V for audio performance. Noise level was too high on most of the formats.

6. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Ironic that TAS rated the DV-47A highly on video and poorly on sound. The DV-47Ai is supposedly much improved and the DV-45A is getting good reviews.

But 34/100 ?!!! That's why I put "bad video" in my post and I agree that the Secrets guys are being especially critical, but there are SO many players that did better, it makes me wonder. Their review of the chroma bug was NOT invisible . . .

Right now I have a cheap player (RP56) that got 87/100 and now I spend $500 to get a player that gets 34/100? I want good DVD-A performance and better build quality but am unwilling to give up good video quality that I am spoiled with now.

Perhaps I put too much creedence on testing folks. But they have nothing to gain and have lots of data from real machines under controlled conditions. Honestly: somebody give me a reason to doubt the data!

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I'm holding off on buying a universal machine for now and probably at least for another year. Right now I'm using three boxes--Panasonic for video, Sony for SACD, Toshiba for DVD-A. I kind of like the way they're set up. They all run into one receiver. I can put 5 DVD-video discs in the Panasonic, 5 SACDs in the Sony, and use the Toshiba just for DVD-A without having to change its settings. It's convenient for me and means I have to get off the couch less than I would with one machine. And, the primary function I use each box for at least matches the performance of any universal machine on the market right now. If I was starting from scratch right now though, it would be difficult for me to choose between the Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, and Marantz universal machines.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have a similar set-up to Mark: SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer, Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, and Sony DVP-C670D DVD-Video changer. Now, it is true that I got into DVD-Audio and SACD before universal players were readily available, but I am very happy having separate components. Each one does its job very well, and I don't put excessive wear on any one component. Based on what I have read about a lot of the universal players out there, I am in no rush to change out any components. [​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Figured I'd put this here because I know Keith is "looking in", and because it is also somewhat relevant to the thread... [​IMG]

I have a Pioneer DV47ai. I like it. I like it a lot. In spite of what Secrets says. [​IMG] I also had the 45a for a very little while. I liked that one too. I've had Pioneer players for years and have never seen the chroma bug on a 27 and now 32" direct view set.

But one thing that would make me consider switching to something else, would be a Sony ES universal player. Must weight at least 20 lbs, and I'd go for a street price of $1000 (so list would be $1200 - 1300).

I wrote Sony a letter asking them about a product like this, and that some of use refuse to choose between SACD and DVD-A, and some of us refuse to buy 2 players for what one player should be able to do.

Their customer service must be on an "improvement" type swing, because 2 different people called over the space of about 3 weeks, and now I just got an email survey to fill out.

Bottom line? (At least the dude was honest...) The product and marketing folks don't talk to the customer service people until a product is released.

Sony is so big, that I can't get deep enough by sending a letter (I actually sent two letters btw, one to Sony US HQ, and 1 to Sony's customer service address here).

One of the benefits of say calling B&K or Acurus (Mondial Designs) or Outlaw, where you can get to talk to a knowledgeable person within about 5 minutes.

11. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    I have a new 47ai and an rp82 (two actually). I use the 47ai.Incredible picture and infinitely adjustable settings. Don't miss out because of someone elses review.
    andy

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I applaud your efforts with Sony. While I am surprised that you got two phone calls (one would have been a surprise), I am not surprised by the end result. You said:

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Kevin,

It appears that the forthcoming Denon 2900 fits your requirements. Great video quality (It will have the $3,500 DVD-9000's video section with a better MPEG decoder and more buffer memory!!) and excellent build quality since it is based on the Denon 3800's chasis. It will retail for 1K, meaning you may be able to get it in the $800.00 street range if you look hard. I don't expect Sony to support DVD-Audio anytime soon, so a Universal player from Sony is probably wishful thinking at this point. Besides, Denon has had the edge on Sony as of late when it has come to DVD players (Denon 1600/3800 anyone?)imho. I don't think this was the case a mere three years ago.

Reg

14. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Will the new Denon scale 4:3 letterbox matreial?

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Reg- You can be sure, that me along with lots of other people, will be very curious about the Denon when it comes out... [​IMG]

16. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Rin,

Since the Denon 2900 uses the Silicon Image chip, I'm certain it won't scale. It also won't support HDCD decoding as Denon claimed they could only put so much in the 2900 at its price point. However, I hear the new FL2300 chips from Genesis/Faroudja will allow scaling, but I don't know if this chip will find its way into a universal machine.

Reg

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Count me in as one who will be watching developments with the Denon '2900 closely. [​IMG]

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oh yeah, I wanted to add, that even though I'd be looking forward to a Sony ES uni-player, the 999ES didn't seem to do that well in the latest Secret's shootout... [​IMG]

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin said:

20. Carl Mulder

Carl Mulder Stunt Coordinator

Im waiting for the Denon 2900 because the 3800's video is so good. It basically has perfect progressive de-interlacing, and the resolution is amazingly high. The higher resolution your dvd's the better it will peform.
    Normally I find the higher resolution you go the harder the dvd player finds it to display fine detail, but this player gets more detailed all the way up to 6.25 mhz detail which is full dvd resolution.
    The chroma bug is obviously fixed so I think that the 2900 is the pefect player, no shit.