What good H.T places to visit in chicago?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am taking a trip to chicago next month and I am curious if there are any out of the ordinart home theater shops there?Not planning to buy anything but I love to browse as long as its not the typical shop.

Also,any other cool things to do there?I want to go to the science and industry museum and the aquarium but it has been a good 10 years since I have spent any time there so...

2. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

www.saturdayaudio.com is a great place. They don't have big listening rooms and often its a zoo. They started off as a few guys that loved audio and wanted to run a shop on saturdays!

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Haven't been to any places in the city, but I have been to Abt Electronics in Morton Grove and The Little Guys in Glenwood. Both have fine HT support. Then of course, there's the traditional chain stores like Tweeter.
    As for other things to do, it depends if you're looking for the typical toursit stops or other off the beaten path places. The city has great cultural attractions, such as museums, music, theatre and architecture. As a generic suggestion, I'd suggest picking up a copy of the Chicago Reader when you come to town. It's a free weekly paper jam packed with things to do each week in the city and suburbs. It's distributed on Thursday afternoons and can usually be found at any local music store or newstand. They also have them in news boxes downtown, though they get snatched up quickly.

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I highly reccommend The Little Guys as well. Great listening rooms, equipment, and very knowlegable salesman. The salesman I deal with is Robert and he is a very enthusiastic HT guy. [​IMG]
    I would also check out the Field Museum. If you want to eat at an excellent Mexican Restaurant that is very affordable, try Frontera Grill. Very tasty, but make sure you get there when they open. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

If it's been 10 years, then you'll want to stop in on the Sony mega-uber-store on Michigan Ave. If you're staying downtown, it should be pretty convenient. IIRC, it's north of the museums up close to the Water Tower.

6. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Chad,

My wife and I just went to Chicago last month for the weekend. I love that city. It looks like I'll be going back next month for training at some point. When exactly are you going?

Stuff to do: Definitely hit the Sony shop on North Michigan avenue. Pretty cool store even if you don't like Sony stuff.

Lots of cool architecture in Chicago if you're into that kind of thing.

Science and Industry Museum is definitely awesome. Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and Shedd Aquarium are all on an enclosed campus now, making it easier to get between them all. That would be a day well spend. The Aquarium just underwent a major renovation.

The Chicago Auto Show is going on during February sometime. Not sure when exactly, but that would definitely be worth checking out.

Countless other things.. Chicago is pretty cool!

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

If you're in the northwest suburbs, check out The Sound Lab. They have the esoteric stuff like Wadia, Krell, Aerial Acoustics, Wilson, etc.

8. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

I think you can now get tickets to a Bulls game
    very easily. [​IMG]
    But, I will definitely second The Frontera Grill. If you
    like Mexican this place is it. One small problem, everyone
    knows about it and can be pretty difficult to get a table.
    The museums are great and Navy Pier re-opened up about 6
    years ago (guessing time). A lot has changed in the past 10
    years.
    You can also check Metromix.com. This has a lot of information
    regarding entertainment in the city (movies,
    concerts, shows, big events etc.). I hope the weather holds
    up for you when you come, this weekend it's going to be
    in the 50's at THE END OF JANUARY.

9. Chad Isaacs

Ok,we made reservations...we are staying at the House of Blues....Is that an ok place?The room picture we saw looked pretty funky...

10. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Its been twelve years since I have been home, grew up on the south side-the Chicago Heights area. On a clear night I used to love to go to the observation deck of the Sears Tower. Nothing like seeing the city at night.

11. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

1st thing go to Navy Pier and then you take a short cab ride to Clark & Onterio st. where there's every resturant food you can like and there's carriage horse rides around there too. And the zoo is only mintues away.

12. Chad Isaacs

What is/is at the Navy Peir?I went up to chicago last year(just for a movie...cthd but did not spend any time) and I seem to remember seeing it from the highway but I am clueless of whats there.

I think our plan so far is as follows...

We wanted to take a choo choo train and will get into chicago around 9am...We are going to the aquarium first,well,after breakfast.Then we HAVE to go to Ed Debevicks(sp?) for lunch.Hopfully by that time we can get our stuff out of lockers at the train station and check into our hotel room...not until 3.We then hope to get a quick nap in and head back out and get into some trouble.

We have to be out of the room by noon so we will have to get back to the train station,put our junk back on lockers then have until that evening to get around town.I hope to catch a movie or two while I am there as well...brotherhood of the wolf for sure.

We are not big fans of malls but if there is one that you just cant miss i suppose we could wander through it a while

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Chad, there is an IMAX theater at Navy Pier and you might want to check and see if Beauty and the Beast is playing there. I am sure it is since Fantasia 2000 played on it.

-Dean-

14. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Navy Pier has Imax theater,Ferris Wheel,boat rides and a great view of the Chicago skyline.And you can walk along the lakefront there too.

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Frontera Grill! [​IMG]
    Chad, I've never stayed at the House of Blues Hotel, but it's in a great location...just north of the Chicago River at the base of the Marina Towers (the corn cob buildings) Maybe they'll have a good act at the club the night(s) you're there.
    Count me among Chicago residents that feels that Navy Pier is seriously overrated. Sure there's a gorgeous view of the skyline from there (especially from the Ferris Wheel) but the rest is just kitschy shops and carts. If you've ever been to Harborplace in Baltimore or Faneuil Hall in Boston, then you know what I'm talking about. The IMAX theater is there (and Beauty and the Beast IS playing), but they have IMAX theaters all over the suburbs now and you son't have to pay 15 bucks to park in the 'burbs. Of course, if you are using public transporation (free trolley to Navy Pier too) than it is probably a moot point for you.
    As for malls, they have several "vertical" ones along North Michigan Avenue, but none are very special. The "must see" one--Woodfield--is all the way out in the western suburbs.
    I like the view at Sears, but I prefer the one at the John Hancock Center observatory better. The admission cost is less and the wait is usually shorter than at Sears. There's a Cheesecake Factory restaurant at the base that I guess is pretty "hip" (I don't like cheesecake) judging by the lines I always see there. Across the street is a large FAO Schwarz store that's fun to stop in (and yes, they have one of the "piano key" walkways) The store may not be there next time you come to town as it's rumored to be closing sometime this year.
    As for theaters, I'd suggest the McClurg Court theater, not far from Navy Pier. If there's something you want to see there, ask if it's in theater one, the large auditorium. The projection and sound system in it are top-notch. Alas, this great theater may be closing soon also. [​IMG] On the north side is the great old Music Box Theater, which usually has films in limited release. They have a working pipe organ in the theater too!
    For museums, I'd suggest two that are not as well known. The Chicago Historical Society is located on Clark Street near Lincoln Park Zoo...an quick bus ride from the Loop.They have outstanding exhibits on (to name a few) Abe Lincoln, the Chicago fire and an upcoming very impressive travelling Smithsonian exhibit (which I saw in D.C.) on the American presidency.
    The other is the Museum of Broadcast Communications at Michigan Avenue and Washington Street. They have an impressive archive of television and radio shows, as well as newscasts and commercials, all of which are available for viewing. They also allow you to dress as a news anchor and read a newscast on an actual studio set. You can even buy a videotape of the experience. Very cool, indeed!

16. Dax Scott

Dax Scott Stunt Coordinator

FYI Chad, you may not be able to use the lockers at Union Station. I pass through there every day since I take the commuter train from the suburbs, and all of the lockers I've seen have a sign on them explaining that they are unavailable due to security concerns.

Just wanted to give you a heads up so you could come up with "Plan B" just in case.

17. Chad Isaacs

I saw Crouching Tiger..at McClurg when we went up just for it...of course it was in Indy the next week.

Hmm,I do not know what to do with our luggage now.We get into town in the am and cannot check in until 3...

18. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

I'm sure you can leave your luggage at the hotel even if you can't check in.

And I dunno, the Sony store on Mich. Ave generally sucks but there really isn't anything else in the area except a lame Tweeter store in the 600 N. Mich. building.

I'd def. try to see a flick @ McClurg court as it's the last "really big" (Theater 1, at least) THX screens around and it's probably going to close soon (sold to developers who want to turn it into a live theater building). Not sure what'll be playing there but it's usually something good.

And I definitely second the Music Box recommendation. Try going on Friday or Sat night as you'll get to hear the organ player.

19. Chad Isaacs

Well,we did call house of blues hotel and we can drop our luggage off when we arrive in Chicago and pick it up when we are ready to leave.

I about soiled myself when we went to McClurg last year for cthd.I could not believe there was a theater so large inside that building.