What's new

What gold CDs have you bought lately? Or have in your collection? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I collect gold CDs for their often better sound quality. Today I picked up a copy of Ray Charles Greatest Country & Western Hits. What gold CDs do you have in your collection? What do you like and why?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The only gold CDs in my collection came to me by accident -- a couple of soundtrack albums that were included in deluxe box sets of films on laserdisc. Come to think of it, I have one LD itself that's gold -- Orson Welles' The Trial, issued by the Roan Group. I have no idea what else may have been issued on gold.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think I have a couple that qualify. Aja - Steely Dan The Yes Album - Yes Aja was a nice cd so the Gold edition wasn't earth shattering to me but since the early Yes albums didn't seem to be recorded all that well the MoFi Gold edition was a pretty big improvement, even on my modest audio system.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. The only gold disc in my collection is the Yes album. Sounds pretty good.

I casually collect SACDs and DVD-As and picked up the gold disc in a used bin at a local store.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike Frezon said:
Yup. The only gold disc in my collection is the Yes album.  Sounds pretty good. I casually collect SACDs and DVD-As and picked up the gold disc in a used bin at a local store. 
If it is the Yes Fragile by Mofi (MFSL) then you are doing well as it sounds great!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope, Lee. Not Fragile. But, The Yes Album.

It is a MoFi release. Limited Edition. #496, in fact. It sounds great though. I'm not really that familiar with Yes, but I know: I've Seen All Good People.

I LOVE finding high-rez stuff in used bins. I wonder, often, how/why it ends up there...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Mike, what stores are you finding this stuff in the used bins? Maybe I have to hit the used record stores again like I did in high school.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...seeing as how most media stores near me are going under...it's getting more and more difficult.

But, I still find "used" stuff at my local FYE stores (TransWorld Entertainment). And I've got one small local LP/CD shop near me that I check out every once in a while...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love to find the occasional used/out-of-print treasure at FYE, but just this evening learned that the one in my town is closing. Not exactly a shock, since they've been closing stores here and there for the past couple of years, but now the nearest ones will be 30-45 minutes away. And you know damned well they won't last forever.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I love to find the occasional used/out-of-print treasure at FYE, but just this evening learned that the one in my town is closing. Not exactly a shock, since they've been closing stores here and there for the past couple of years, but now the nearest ones will be 30-45 minutes away. And you know damned well they won't last forever.

Don't want to derail Lee's thread, but a number of our local FYE's have closed over the past several months. Just two left in the two big local malls.

Once they're gone...there will be no good-sized local retailers left carrying used high-rez discs (trying to get it back on topic...).

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just off the top of head.... Elvis - 24 Karat Hits Phil Collins - Face value Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going! Yes - 90125 The Cars - Heartbeat City The B-52's - Cosmic Thing The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds The Doobie Bros. - Minute By Minute Billy Joel - Glass Houses Billy Joel - 52nd Street Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel Heart - Greatest Hits

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks