What gives a sub it's punch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickBlacker, Sep 27, 2002.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

First I want to say sorry for the dup post. I had posted in the speaker section but was told this would be the better place...

Hello all. I am not too knowledgeable in regards to subs. I have a full Klipsch R7 system. A friend came over about a month ago and gave great comments on my RSW-12. At the time I was considering exchanging it with some SVS subs. This guy used to do professional installs for…. hmmm… can’t remember off the top of my head, but it was not Klipsch. Anyway, he talked me out of it saying that I had a great sub and that it had a lot of punch. So rather than rid myself of my existing Klipsch RSW-12 and purchase some SVS subs, I purchased a second sub, a Klipsch RSW-15.

To my point. What gives a sub it’s punch over sounding muddy? Reason I ask is because I still have a desire to build my own sonatube. But I want it to… well… basically rip my theater apart with punch and low frequencies.

I can only assume that it is a combination of the driver itself as well as the amp. As far as the amp goes, is it a matter of how much wattage you supply the driver?

In closing, can anyone recommend a site that is dedicated to building the perfect, tight, punchy low frequency grinding, wall shaking, paint peeling, chest pounding DIY sonatube site? I would be greatly appreciative.

Oh one last thing... Simply because I want to do this does not mean that the Klipsch subs I currently have are not awesome, they really are. I just want to do this for the sake of doing it. Seems like a fun rewarding project to do.

Thanks
    Rick

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have heard those RSW reference subs and they kick hard!!! I was so impressed by them, I had to check them out. Anyway, they use a PR design and a ton of power (bash) which is probably why they have that "kick you in the chest" sound yet still sounding very deep. The tuning is probably around the 30Hz area so you probably won't get extremelly low with them like some sono designs but they sure sounded great to me. They may also have some EQ added at the amp to give you extra kick in the 30-40Hz range.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Loud bass in the 40-60Hz region gives you that 'kick in the chest' feeling. Some manufacturers choose to design their subs with a peak in this region (to accentuate the effect). Subs with a high system Q will also have this peak.

The Klipsch subs are nice but don't have a lot of extension (when compared to most DIY designs). The purpose of a sub is to move air. The more air it moves (in a controlled manner) the better it will perform.

This forum is a good resource for sonotube building. Read the back posts and check out the 'sonotube project links' at the top of the page. Since you live in Portland, I'd be willing to give you a demonstration of reference level bass. PM or e-mail me if you're interested...

4. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Greg... I just sent you a PM. [​IMG]