What gives a sub it's punch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickBlacker, Sep 27, 2002.

1. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. I am not too knowledgeable in regards to subs. I have a full Klipsch R7 system. A friend came over about a month ago and gave great comments on my RSW-12. At the time I was considering exchanging it with some SVS subs. This guy used to do professional installs for…. hmmm… can’t remember off the top of my head, but it was not Klipsch. Anyway, he talked me out of it saying that I had a great sub and that it had a lot of punch. So rather than rid myself of my existing Klipsch RSW-12 and purchase some SVS subs, I purchased a second sub, a Klipsch RSW-15.
    To my point. What gives a sub it’s punch over sounding muddy? Reason I ask is because I still have a desire to build my own sonatube. But I want it to… well… basically rip my theater apart with punch and low frequencies.
    I can only assume that it is a combination of the driver itself as well as the amp. As far as the amp goes, is it a matter of how much wattage you supply the driver?
    In closing, can anyone recommend a site that is dedicated to building the perfect low frequency grinding, wall shaking, paint peeling, chest pounding DIY sonatube site? I would be greatly appreciative. [​IMG]
    Oh one last thing... Simply because I want to do this does not mean that the Klipsch subs I currently have are not awesome, they really are. I just want to do this for the sake of doing it. Seems like a fun rewarding project to do.
    Thanks
    Rick

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Although sub design is relatively striaght forward, there is still quite a bit to know. A great place to start is in the DIY/Advanced section of this forum.
    To quickly answer some of your questions how a sub will sound depends just about entirely on the enclosure and choice of driver. Pick a good driver and mate it with an appropriate enclosure and you'll be in great shape. From what you have, and your stated goals you'll likely want to go with multiples of whatever driver you choose.
    Put another way, pick a great driver and put it in a bad allignment, it will sound like crap. Take the same driver in a good allignment it will sound great. However, no enclosure will make a really bad driver sound good.
    As long as you are using a decent amp the only concern here is enough power for the driver/allignment choosen and the desired output goal. In some cases this will be around 100W in others it will be up over 2 kilowatts.
    Anyways, here are a few links to get you some ideas:
    http://www.stryke.com/SATser.html
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/tumult.htm
    http://www.missiondigital.net/category.asp?catcode=3
    http://t-3.cc/users/kloneaudio/page13-12Shiva1.html

3. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

Hey thanks Dustin... Perhaps I should have put my question there.

I think I will repost it there with a "I am sorry about posting in two places note" :b

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's not a problem. Happens all the time with people new to the forum.

Beside the search and buddy list buttons in the tool bar is a report this post button. You can type a little message in there about what is wrong and the message will get sent to a moderator. Then the moderator can do whatever is necessary to fix the problem. So if you make the mistake again you can just ask a moderator to move the post and they will, usually quite quickly too.

In fact you could probably report this post and ask a moderator to remove it since you started it again in the DIY area.