What gets a sub a THX rating? Can a SVS sub get this qualification?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just wondering are THX rated subs better than any non rated sub. Just how does a sub get this rating. Output levels? Build? By sending it in to Lucas Arts for the stamp? I bet a SVS would look even cooler with a THX stamp underneath the logo. I guess you always fool your friends..[​IMG]

2. JerryIII

JerryIII Stunt Coordinator

I am sure that SVS meets or exceeds all of the THX requirements. They just don't want to pay the liscensing fee to Luca$. If they did, the subs would not be as good a value as they already are.

Jerry

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Keir,

This is one of those "just bring money" instances. There is not a doubt in our collective minds (and Tom has long since validated this in objective terms) that most, if not all of our subs greatly exceed THX performance requirements.

The approval process is not inexpensive though, and given we already exceed whatever THX requires, we find little reason at this time to expend the resources on the badge. This is not to say we find the THX process, the company or the people/standards behind it frivolous, it's just not important to our primary goal of providing the best performance for the least money in the industry.

How would you feel if your sub was exactly the same as it is now, but cost perhaps $50 more for the badge? I think most folks would respond "badges? we don't need no stinking badges!" ;^)

I have no idea if the cost would be anything like that but I promise you won't see that cost tacked on for anything but some sort of refinement/upgrade or increase in component cost on our end.

Ron