what gear offers "switchable" rears?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewJ S, Mar 5, 2002.

1. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I am a stickler about voice matching amps and speakers, but I am not exactly comfortable in recommending wide dispersion side-surrounds over direct firing rear surrounds in all aplications...I like an either-or-or-both combination best! I need help in developing a list of 7.1 rcvrs/pre-pros that allow 5.1 out of either set of surrounds via remote...please chime in if you know units that do this (or don't) thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Higher-end Denon...I forget which.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, Denon - 3802 and up.

4. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    The Denon AVR5700 (US model) aka AVC-A1D (Europe & Asia model) has switchable rear speakers and it does exactly what you want. Actually you can even set up the unit so that when you listen to music the reciever switches to one set of rears (A) and when you watch movies it switches automatically to the other set of rear speakers (B).

Sanjay

Member since 1997

5. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

My Denon 3300 has them, but your probably looking for a newer model.

6. MatthewJ S

Actually guys, I don't think that the 3802 does what I'm asking,that is to say, while you can hook up side surrounds and rear surrounds, I don't think yo can run 5.1 with just the rears playing...If you go into the menu and select "none" for surrounds it won't (I believe) allow you to run the surround backs.... I think you'd wind up having to cross wire surround "b" w/the rear surrounds...not convieniant..any others on the list? does lex, meridian, rotel,outlaw allow you to run in 5.1 using only the back speakers that are wired for 7.1?

7. John Garcia

John
    I am sure the 4802 has the 9 speaker outputs with 7ch of power, that allows you to select between two different (upto) 7.1 rear setups. I thought I read that the 3802 also has this, but I had not veified that. I auditioned the 3802 in a 5.1 config.

I just took a look at Denon's site, it's the 4802 and up that have this. Sorry.:b

8. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure a 3802 can do it. It is pretty innovative when it comes to two sets of surround speakers as well as a rear set, you can also control which ones play depending on the surround mode.

I was just studying my manual very carefully last night. and payed great attention to the surround A and surround B speakers.

-edit- Oh, I may be mistaken then. I was taking into consideration that I have a HK integrated amp I was going to use for power.

9. John Royster

Wait a second. You only want 5 channels right?

3xfront, 2x surround, 2x rear. You should be able to configure the 3802 to play the rears only (as the surround channels) by turning the speakers off in your global setup or surround mode setup.

I was getting ready to do 4xsurrounds and 2xrears, but needed the extra two channels of power to play all speakers at the same time. If you don't need to play 4xsurrounds and 2xrears then you are running A and B surround speakers and can choose which ones to play in different modes or not play at all.

10. MatthewJ S

o.k., one more time...I'm gonna feel stupid if I,m wrong BUT, I believe that onthe denons you can hook up surround "a" and surround "b" to 2 seperate sets of speakers and select an either-or-or-both configuration but both of those sets of speakers are parralleled off the same amps and if you wanted to do 6.1/7.1 you would have to hook up yet an additional speaker(s)...not what I had in mind...3 or 4 speakers along my back wall? are you crazy, my wife barely tolerates 2 sides and 2 rears!

O.K. anyone thought this out ...other rcvrs?pre-pros?

11. Patrick

Patrick Auditioning

I think I understand what Mathew is asking as I wondered about this myself. I have the Denon AVR5800 which has 4 separate amps for surround duties. You can simultaneously connect two pairs of speakers to the surround side channels (referred to as surround A and surround B). However, both pairs are powered from 2 amps. This allows you to have dipoles to the side for movie and direct radiating speakers to the side/corner/back for music. The amp can be configured to automatically select any or both pairs depending on the the source signal and processing. In addition to the 2 side surround amps (which drive 1 or 2 pairs of side surrounds), there are 2 separate amps to power the surround back channels.

The situation is this. Most people like myself do not want 2 pairs of side surrounds (4 speakers) plus1 pair of surround backs (2 speakers) in our setup. It would be great if we could use 1 pair of dipole side surrounds (A) for movie and have 1 pair of direct radiating speakers on the back wall that would serve as side surrounds (B) for music and also surround back for movie. In addtion, it would be great if we could choose if side surround A, B or surround back is used in a 5.1 setup.

The denon amp does not allow you to use the surround back as side surround B or vice versa. If you configure the menu without side surrounds, it will forcefully cutoff the surround back amps even if you have speakers connected to it.

Cheers

12. MatthewJ S

O.K., thanks for the confirmation Patrick, now who has a product that can?

13. John Royster

Gotcha, guess my case is a little different as I was going to use two pairs of surround and on pair of rear (or no rears). That way I'd use direct radiators for music and dipoles for movies.

14. Shane G

Shane G Agent

Matthew

I'm not aware of any products that have this feature yet.

But it is definitely a good question, I was a little unsure of what you were asking at first myself.

Good luck in your search.

15. MatthewJ S

B&K REF30 & AVR307

WHAT ELSE?

16. MatthewJ S

Bump

ANY other gear?

17. John Garcia

John
    Speaker switch would be the only other option I could think of, and it doesn't sound like that is something you would be interested in.

18. MatthewJ S

Actually , your right, I wouldn't be interested in a switcher, I have B&K. What I am interested in is finding out what other gear would give me this ability....

Lex, Meridian, Tag, Anthem...anyone?

19. MatthewJ S

I must assume from the lack of responses that only B&k has this option...

Please tell me I'm wrong...I'm aspiring to a high priced pre-amps!

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, someone just made the suggestion to Denon in the chat at AVS forum, so maybe you will see it in a Denon receiver one of these days...

Jason