What gauge and type speaker wire for 36 foot run to rear surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Nov 9, 2001.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I am going to have to run the wire under the carpet around the perimeter if the room(I guess I will have to get the carpet people to come and break a seam at one doorway and lift the carpet up all the rest of the way around and put it back down, unless there is a better way to do this). Any opinions/suggestions?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Your first decision will be gauge. Many will tell you to go with 12 gauge all around. Others have had fine experience with 16 gauge all around. Cambridge Sound Works says 16 gauge for runs up to 50 feet. Other companies and individuals will tell you that 36 feet of 16 gauge is nuts. You might want to look into the flat wire that by necessity is wider than it is high. Not sure that is an advantage in your case or not.
    In my experience, speaker wire questions on forums end up with most recommendations for Home Depot 12 gauge.
    Artie

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would not go smaller than 12 guage for a 36' run. When I had my HT in the other room, I had a similar situation. I ended up using wire channels. They were available at Radio Shack back then and looked like a long plastic tube with a square cross section. There is a cover that peels off so you can gain access to the wire that runs along it. Also, the back has a sticky backing so the channel can be applied to a baseboard, a wall, or the ceiling.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I've managed with some effort and patience to use fish tape to run speaker wire under the carpet. I use Monster 14 gauge for my surrounds for length of run you need. 16 would work just as well. Frankly the current to the rears is so little that wire size shouldn't be an issue unless endless wire debate is your thing.
    Russ

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i run 14 gauge wire for my speakers in my dorm room. Home Depot 14 gauge worked well for me. 3 of the wires are 30+ feet; no problems.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

6. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I most cases you could lump me in with everyone else in recommending 12ga wire. But I also know that 14/4 is extensively used by professional installers with in wall applications even in high dollar high end systems giving outstanding results. So if 14ga would be easier for you to fish or fit under baseboards I would think it would be fine.
    ------------------
    Luke