What's new

What games drove you to insanity? or What games couldnt you finish? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I should have added Gunvalkyrie to my list. Still haven't finished that puppy as it pushed me over the edge. It's the kind of game (for me) that I need to focus on exclusively as I find the controls unnatural (hate forced inverted) and so switched to something else really messes me up.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Dude - me and a buddy of mine actually beat Target Earth! Ahh... the memories of the 'ol Genesis days!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Color me wimpy, but I'm about to give up on Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door. The final boss battle requires about 20 minutes of pointless cinematics and fighting before the real fight. I'm tired of replaying the time-wasting stuff to get to the part that causes me troubles.

Likewise, I spent some time running through the Pit of 100 Trials to level up, thinking I might not be ready for the final boss. However, the real star points are in the last 10 levels, after which there is no escape or save before the pit's ridicuously difficult boss. And it takes about two hours to get their. So replaying that is of no interest.

A good game brought low by typically terrible Nintendo save system.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

You're not the only one who gave up on this. I finished the game (second try on the final boss I think), but gave up on the pit of 100 trials after dying on level 90 something... No problem with the design, but having a chance to return to the deepest exit you'd used, or the ability to save inside the pit might have helped.

I've always had a big problem with cimematics etc that you can't skip through and have to potentially sit through many many times... I remember a couple spots in FFX being particularly bad for this, but for the most part they seemed to be pretty good about letting you save right after.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
The last one I gave up on was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time"...there was a section at about 75% that you have to do a timed shimmy up a wall and for the life of me I can't do it. I'm a little surprised to see Splinter Cell mentioned so often, but now that I think about it I did have to consult a FAQ to get some of the door codes. Same with "KOTOR", there were a few puzzles there that stopped me dead in my tracks.

As for one I never even came close to completeing; MDK2 for the Dreamcast. I might have made it through 3 levels before giving up.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
My big beef and frustration with Splinter Cell was its internal schizophrenia. On the one hand, it was a stealth game. The best mission is one that leaves no traces of your presence. That means people don't see you, and when possible, you don't even knock guards out who will eventually wake up and remember, or leave bodies that will eventually be found. The problem is the game encourages you to play it in the opposite direction. Plenty of notes for minor plot points are only obtainable if you kill or knock out a guard, and some patrol routes are set up so that it's nearly impossible to sneak by without cutting down on the number of guards. I mean, if you want to make Sam a bad-ass guy that does whatever it takes, fine, but then lay off the stealth emphasis in terms of no tracks somewhat. Play him up as more of an assassin, not someone who just gets in, gets out, and leaves no trace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks