What's new

What game is this? (1 Viewer)

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
My girlfriend's family has this game that I've seen many places however I have no idea what the game is called.

The board is setup as a whole bunch of like hollowed out holes that hold a small round stone (i've seen variants that were pegs in a hole). Every hole has a ball in it except the middle ball. You play the game by "jumping" one ball over the other (kind of like checkers) and this removes the ball that has been jumped. You continue doing this as long as you can until you're out of moves. Ideally you're only supposed to have one ball left in the middle of the board, however that never really happens.

Anyway, my gf's uncle was curious as to whether or not there is an actual solution to the game so I said I'd look for a solution online. Problem is I can't find the game because i don't know what to search for.
I've heard the game referred to as "hole-in-one" but can't find it anywhere under that name. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? and if so, any idea what the game is called?

oh and this a really weak attempt at drawing what the board looks like

---
| |
-- --
| |
-- --
| |
----

thanks

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Sounds like Solitaire, which is a bit like Chinese Checkers.

If it looks anything like this, it's Solitaire:

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
oh ya that's the one

my picture was awesome...i never looked at it after posting and it obviously erased all the leading spaces

now i get to try to find something called solitaire..wow there should be quite a few hits for this one

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Looks like this particular board configuration and setup is referred to as a "British" board. Here's a page with the solution, as well as several other variations of the game:

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/solitaire/solution.htm

Click on START, and the moves will begin to display. You'll have to play it over several times, I'm sure, to catch all the moves.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Thanks all.

The solution to the british board was discovered by the uncle. His son-in-law claimed to have solved the French board. it turns out that the french board is unsolvable, so he must have made an illegal move.
i think you just saved my gf's uncle some more sleep

again thanks

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
There was a PC based game called 'PEGGED.EXE' that came with Windows Entertainment pack (which usually was a whole collection of tiny Windows games like Solitaire (the card game) or battlezone, Pipes, etc. etc. I have it on my PC at work cause it's tiny and is sometimes a mind clearer.

Concept is the same and they have different shapes and levels of difficulty..

I can send it you you if you want... it's small!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks