What's new

What front projector for my home theater? (1 Viewer)

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Thats exactly what I meant...no hard feelings anyway :)
What I would like is for CRT and digital onwers to coexist without having to debate why one technology is better. Heck, we digital onwers also have the LCD vs DLP debate but is not that bad as it we accept is a matter of taste.
Also, I didn't mean to be rude and hope I wasn't cause I just want for all of us just to get along ...I feel like Barney
wink.gif

Huey

Agent
I'm an AVS member and frequently browsed CRT forum to see how the other half lives. I was disgusted with the upnosing and bashing, yes bashing of CRT owners on the digital community. The bashing was so bad that the moderator had to delete the threads. One thread was recently started by Alan Gouger, AVS moderator, applauding how CRT people are so helpful to each other. Yet this thread turned into digital bashing. Of course they deleted the thread as the bashing was severe. The only trace left of this thread is this warning thread about bashing: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8213
------------------
Huey :-]

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, this is turning into a CRT vs digital projector thread, which wasn't the point. However, everybody wants convenience and the best possible picture quality. At the moment you can only get one of those.
After all, I'm entirely sure that any CRT owner who could have their machine shrunk down to a fifth of its current size, a tenth of its current weight and add zoom lenses for ease of placement with no reduction in image quality would be exstatic. Unfortunately, you can't do that.
What then follows of course is that everyone has to make their own determination as to how much convenience they are willing to sacrifice to get better image quality - or rather, how good the image has to be to be enjoyable to them?
I know that a projector like Sony's VW10HT LCD-projector has issues with black level compared to a CRT, yet I can certainly see why someone would want to get one anyway over a CRT due to it being very quiet, giving a (relatively) great picture out of the box and simplicity itself to operate and install; not least because it is much smaller and lighter physically than a CRT. This goes especially if you are on a budget and don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for professional help to set the projector up and get it calibrated to perfection.
Not everyone wants to get so proficient with their system that they can calibrate their CRT projector when it is required - in fact, I'm sure there are many people who are incapable of it, but they still want a big picture.
No need to go bashing people for wanting something simple and convenient with sufficiently good picture quality for them. Just as there is no reason to go bashing people who want the optimal picture quality with little to no regard for the other drawbacks associated with CRT.
------------------
/Kimmo

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Of course it's a personal decision, no one is disputing that. However, a personal decision is dependent on what your particular wishes and requirements are. If you're interested in convenience over everything else, then of course you will lean towards digital. But that's not what the original poster asked for, isn't it? He didn't ask what's the most convenient, lightweight, aesthetically pleasing projector he could buy for $3000-$5000. He asked about the BEST PICTURE QUALITY for that price, period. His requirements are different than yours. Let's not lose sight of that.
Also don't forget about the poster's requirement for HDTV, along with best picture quality. None of the digital projectors he could buy in that price range are capable of displaying a true HDTV picture. XGA or even SXGA simply cannot resolve a 1920x1080 signal, and cannot even display it without processing it, thereby degrading it. This is another very important point he must consider.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Of course you can buy used CRT for this price but who wants too when you can have new.
Who wants to? People who want a SUPERIOR PICTURE. Nothing you typed changes the fact that CRT picture quality is superior. THAT is what the CRT people at AVS say, nothing more, nothing less.
------------------

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
double post. sorry
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie
[Edited last by Neil Joseph on October 15, 2001 at 03:02 PM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
crazy.gif

People, there is no reason to be so touchy, or get offended by other people's comments if they do not like the type of projector you have in your HT's. I have an LCD projector and although I know it is not the best projector around, I enjoy it. There are many CRT's out there that have great picture quality, for me it is not an option I want to have as the flexibility that LCD has outweighs the improved PQ (in my case). Others may opt for the improved PQ if it fits their situation.
The fact is though that there are some great LCD units out there as far as I am concerned, and there are great CRT units. It all depends on what the original poster wants, can put up with, and is willing to make trade-offs for.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Jim Klabechek

Auditioning
Billy,
Take a look at Bjoern Roy's webpage. He uses an NEC 8" CRT. There isn't a lamp projector out in the 3-20k range that can beat a 8"-9" CRT.
Jim

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Here we go again Mr.Klabechek...I guess this is a never ending story. It seems that while digital onwers can accept the drawbacks of their projectors CRT owners are enraged if someone implies that their technology is not perfect...well you now what it is not! Better image than digital? Yes. Perfect? Hell no. Are both technologies viable? Sure they are cause every individual is a world in itself...or something :)
BTW for the record I want to state that the original poster asked for the best picture quality 8 posts after his first post and by that time the CRT vs. Digital debate was way on its way. Too much LA Law I guess....
wink.gif

Jim Klabechek

Auditioning
I'm not trying to debate anything, I'm stating a fact. There isn't a lamp projector out in the 3-20k range that beats a 8"-9" CRT. I didn't say a digital projector are bad nor did I say he shouldn't go with what he wants. I pointed him to a user's webpage that shows what a CRT can do in his price range. What's your problem? Never said your decision of purchasing a digital projector was wrong.
Jim

KeithR

Second Unit
Before buying any DLP, go see one and watch for rainbows.
For the record, the LT150 RUINED dlp for me, as it has the worst rainbow effect of any dlp I have auditioned/owned. I don't care if its 1700 or 7k, dlp has a long way to go. Now if you are talkin DILA, than i am more interested....
CRT is great too...but I like that "sharp" picture. Just totally different from digital, and not in a bad way. Some think digital is the opposite of film...

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
I want the best pic for the money as my #1 priority.
(In the 3000-5000 dollar range.)
The weight doesn't bother me, nor does the cost of the setup of a CRT as long as it is included within my total dollar range.
Are the CRT's in my price range really difficult to keep a good picture maintained? And if so, should I figure on spending a certain amount of money every so often to maintain my picture quality?
Do I use the same type of screen with either LCD, DLP, or CRT projectors?
How much would a good screen cost me?
Your thoughts........?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Oh, we didn't scare you off. Good. :)
A good used CRT setup is well within your range. For reference, I'll detail my costs again:
Electrohome Marquee 8000 projector: $2000
Da-Lite 80x45 1.5 gain screen: $200
Audio & video cards, and HTPC software: $300
Dish Network 6000 HDTV receiver: $500
Professional set-up and calibration: $500
TOTAL: $3500
Again, a properly setup system is very stable and is not difficult to maintain at all. You only need to pay for the initial set-up to be done properly.
If you have decided that you want a CRT, I suggest you come to the CRT Projectors forum at www.avsforum.com and post more specific questions there. You should also look for a member named Curt Palme there. He sells good used CRT's and is very well respected in the community. I got my projector from him. You will get all the answers there.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
One question Vic:
Do you need an image processor to use a CRT? I've read that lots of times...Is that why you are using a HTPC setup?
I am asking cause its relevant to the original poster and also cause I would like to learn more about CRTs too since they are not to expensive (at least used). Also, right now I am projecting a 8' wide image in a 14'-8" long room (the lens should be at around 13'-3" from the screen). Can I achive that with a cheap CRT (under $2500 the less the better)?
Regards

VicRuiz

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure you're being facetious but I'm going to answer anyway:
Yes, you do need a video processor. That is precisely why I use and recommend HTPC for DVD playback. It is widely accepted in the HT community that an HTPC can provide scaling performance equal to the best Faroudja video processors, for a fraction of the price.
Yes, 8' wide (96x54 110" diag. 16:9) would be near the upper limit of an 8" CRT projector like a Barco 800, which can be had for around $1500-$2000. The throw distance would be about 10'.
------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks