What frequency is "pink noise"?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EdNichols, Nov 10, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I just got a Video Essentials disk to calibrate my system and have everything right on the money except my sub. I know some people run their sub a little "hot" and I like a little extra bass also. I understand that the Radio Shack meter doesn't register correctly in the lower freqencies and the SVS table says you have to add anywhere from 1 - 7 db. below 100 hz to the reading on the meter to get it correct. My problem is that I don't know what the freqency of pink noise is so I can know how to correct the reading on my meter. Right now, my sub is already reading 5 db's on the meter above the rest of my speakers and I have it set on my receiver at -10 db below the rest of the speakers. I am not sure how to set the sub. Anyone have an answer?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Pink noise is essentially "all frequencies", with equal energy distribution per octave (frequency doubling).

So there's the same amount of energy from 20-40Hz as 40-80Hz etc etc etc.

I use 3dB as the offset on the RS meter and it has served me quite well.

Regards,

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    In addition to what John K said, if the sub level on the RECEIVER is already "down all the way" at -10db, then lower the gain ON THE SUB itself and you'll have more room to work with the sub's level on the receiver.

FWIW, my sub sounds great with music when it's +5db above the rest of the speakers (as seen on the SPL meter) but when I play a movie, I have to lower the sub's level to about -4db or so. A minor inconvenience for Sonic Nirvana. [​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ed,

Since the pink noise signal you’re reading is broadband, the meter is going to react (display) to the hottest frequency the sub is generating. If you haven’t already, you need to equalize your sub. Only when its response is smooth can you properly calibrate it to the main speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

IMO she's an ok singer

sorry, I'll get my coat [​IMG]

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Be aware that the DVE disc has a flaw in the sub calibration level. Joe Kane Productions has admitted it, but I'm not sure what the latest status is.

The DVE sub calibration tone results in a much higher sound pressure level than it should. JKP says it is off by 5 dB, but I think it is more. There is a discussion thread on the DVE disc over in another part of HTF.

I would advise sub calibration by alternate methods like Ovation's Avia or S&V.

7. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

8. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

is this the newer v.e disk, or the older one?

9. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

DVE (Digital Video Essentials) is the "new" disc. VE (Video Essentials) is the DVD and laserdisc.

Cheers,

10. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

It is the new disc. I found the discussion over in the HTF software section. Sounds like I am not the only who found that the sub. is set higher than the rest of the speakers.