What's new

What frequency do various signals run at? (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Depends on the source material being carried. DVD resolution (say 480p) requires less bandwidth than HD (say 1080i). If memory serves, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 MHz for the former and 37 MHz for the latter. A component switcher that supports 50 MHz bandwidth (+-3 db) will likely be OK for 1080i, I believe. Others can confirm this.

Doug

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

Others won't confirm this.

You want a bare minimum of 100MHz to cleanly pass HD signals, and higher is better. 150 is better.

When specing at 37MHz, that's the -3dB point, which means you are already dropping off fine detail.

The same is true at 50MHz.

Personally, I use an Extron switcher which is really geared towards PCs but works fine for Component Video switching and has a -3dB point of 350MHz.

Regards,

Iver

Second Unit
I am curious for things like component video switching, what frequency is required?
As Doug said, it depends on what's being carried. Component video is usually used for 480i (standard NTSC), 480p (prog-scan DVD or "SDTV), or 1080i (HDTV).

Are you considering a certain receiver or pre-pro and wondering if it would do a decent job with carrying a certain component signal?

It would all depend on the type of display, the type of signal, and the actual performance of the receiver or pre-pro. The owners of individual models of HT gear would probably be happy to give you feedback on the kind of performance they get with the various types of signals.

However, there's an inexpensive way to insure the best possible video connection: connect your source device directly to the display. Many displays on the market have multiple high-rez component-video inputs, so you can use the display to switch between DVD player, STB, or whatever source you want to connect (higher-end TV's usually have several standard composite-video inputs and you can use those for your NTSC sources such as a standard cable box or a VHS VCR).

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I have a toshiba 36HFX71 2 HD inputs im looking at a YamahaRX-V1300 it has a 60Mhz component switcher

I guess i will just put dvd through the receiver and HD straight into the TV

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The other thing to consider is that your Toshiba direct-view probably can't come close to using a full resolution HD signal anyway. In another current thread, Michael_TLV mentioned that the Sony 36XBR450 can only do about 750 lines of absolute horizontal resolution.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=121628

I don't know how insufficient bandwidth will affect the final results, but if all you lose is some fine details w/out gaining any artifacts, then you probably will never see a difference anyway. Also, the 35Mhz usually quoted is for full 1080i resolution, which has 1920 lines of absolute horizontal resolution. Nobody actually provides this much resolution right now.

Of course, you might also want to consider future upgrades that might make the bandwidth limitation an issue. But then again, maybe it won't matter if the content providers have their way and force us all to switch to DVI and/or Firewire in the future.

_Man_

John-Miles

Screenwriter
But Man, you really dont understand the level of my sickness.... Im 22 still a student in university, and ive sunk almost 10k into my home theater..... its all crammed into my little bedroom. hell i have spent more on this than some of my friends have in student loans... this does not bode well for when i get a real place tolive and have a full time job. :frowning:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yikes! That IS pretty extreme. :eek:

I remember dreaming about spending that much on a stereo setup back when I was a senior in college--ok, 10K just for a pair of speakers :D, but snapped out of it before I spent anywhere near that much. Then a few years later at my 2nd job, I inadvertantly triggered the audiophile itch in a coworker who did end up spending that much on his stereo upgrade--and the thing w/ it is that you can spend 10K even on a mostly used stereo setup and still not reach the really high-end level.

Anyway, I hope you'll get a good job so you can pay for all of it. Maybe you should take a long break from these forums...

_Man_

John-Miles

Screenwriter
hahaha no I love this fourm too much to stop now. Although i guess i should also mention that I am doing mechnaical engineering, and we have workterms in this program, so I am actually getting paid full time for part of every year. Actually right now im working for an Oil Company :) so thats why im getting yamaha s2300.... and a new receiver :)

See I told you i was sick... i get money and away it goes to more HT gear... :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks