What forums do you use??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shankar, Apr 19, 2002.

1. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

I cruise the Internet and have visited most of the HT forums asking questions. My experience has been thus:

Home theater forum: Best forum for audio related questions. OK for video stuff. Friendliest of the forums.

Digital Theater: Used to be he place to get answers, I don't visit there that often.

AVS Forum: Best source for HDTV related info and questions. I learned a lot. Some highly opinionated people tend to blow away newbies.

HT spot: Good source for Toshiba related stuff, mainly due to the organization. Learned a lot about tweaking my Tosh TV.

How about you folks?

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Althought I like Home Theater Forum (I agree great place for audio).

I think Home Theater Talk is the most friendly forum.

There are not nearly as many users there so you can get a vast more amount of opinions here on hardware. They deal more in intelectual talk.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Digitaltheater.com Strengths: Good technical advice available. Used to be a pretty good forum, but for some reason the traffic has come to a virtual stand-still, to the point that some of their luminaries (like brucek) have migrated over here. Good for us, bad for them!
    Weaknesses: As noted, effectively DOA. It may take a while to get a response, if help is what you are after.
    Hometheaterspot.com Strengths: None that I can think of.
    Weaknesses: Finely hashed into more than 80 topical sub-forums (no kidding), which makes it a pain to navigate. For instance, there is a forum for every major equipment brand, so I imagine anyone someone posting a “newbie help” question under their brand would get far less responses than he would in a “Beginners Forum” like we have here. Seems to be very few really technically knowledgeable people there. Too many participants seem akin to the less-than-gracious, barely-literate types that haunt most of the car audio forums. Responding to some fellow’s “Help!” thread will often get you zip in feedback – no “Thanks,” no “Drop dead,” no nothing.
    Soundandvisionmag.com, the website for Sound and Vision magazine, also has a forum (direct link at http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi). Strengths: There is sanity to the number of sub-forums. Friendlier, more literate and generally a higher-caliber clientele than the Spot. Reasonably competent answers to “help” questions.
    Weaknesses: Doesn’t really sound out from the crowd. There are more (in number) knowledgeable people here and elsewhere.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

6. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Two other forums I frequent:
    Audiogon Forums -- tends to be for higher-end gear, tubes, tweaks, etc.
    Audio Asylum -- sort of a Wild West kind of experience, but a lot of info (speakers, digital sources and DACs, etc.)

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Disadvantage of forums with dozens and dozens of categories:
    People who may be able to answer your question can't find your question as easily, so it takes longer to get an answer.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I enjoy this forum, Home Theater Talk, and AVS. I also visit SMR and Harmonic Discord. HD is a great place for any kind of esoterica, especially discussions about tube equipment. I am pretty much low end, but I enjoy reading people's ideas and opinions about the higher end stuff.

10. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I use this place probally the most, followed by SAV forums. Also there is a new place opened its called HDTVoice. Its primarily HD related and there are only about 500 members so its still new but there is some good stuff on there... http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/index.php