What's new

What format do you guys watch movies in (1 Viewer)

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
My reciever has to many different formats that I can watch movies in. It has dolbyd,dolby d ex, dolby d+pliix movie,dts -es discrete, dts es matrix, dts+neo:6, dts+dolby ex,dts+pliix movie, thx cinema, thx surround ex, thx select2 cinema. I have played all these and didn't really notice a difference. I know it's a matter of opiobut I would like to hear from some of you guys on what you normally watch movies on. Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I play whatever format is on the DVD (which is connected to the processor via a digital cable. Often, but not always, I prefer DTS vs. Dolby Digital. If the DVD has DTS ES or DD EX it is set to automatically decode in my system.

chris bruce

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way you explain to me on how to make that automatically change on my receiver. I just bought it and can't find it in my manual. It is an Onkyo TX-SR803. Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'm not familiar with that model but most rec'rs have a set-up menu. You should be taking the digital audio output (RCA coax or toslink - not analog outs) of the DVD player into a digital input of the rec'r. The DVD player has a set-up menu as well for audio and video options. You should go into the DVD player menu and set it up for your screen format (e.g. 16:9 widescreen or std. 4:3) and set the digital audio output as appropriate (not PCM). The rec'r set-up menus are generally for the speakers you have (e.g. left, right, center, right surround, left surround, rears surrounds, subwoofer), their size or if you have that speaker (e.g. small, large, none), their distance (each individual speaker) from your listening chair, test tones (which cycles thru the speakers and a sound pressure level meter from the listening position is extremely useful), etc. There are usually other settings too (e.g. delays in milliseconds to compensate for surround reaching your ears, as well as the auto or forced setting for DD EX) but I'd check and adjust the above 1st.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Your reciever should most likely have an auto format setting on all the inputs. That way depending on what format you choose on your audio option one the dvd. It will automaticaly will turn on the decoder on your reciever. At least that is how I do it on my Yamaha RX-V995.

I prefer to buy and use DTS when watching movies and Dolby Digital 5.1 if no DTS track is offered.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

It automatically decodes the sound source based on speaker setup. (when you set how many speakers you have).

I just up graded from a Onkyo TX SR and thats how it works. i prefer DTS when it is available.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
My receiver simply auto detects the dvd formats and selects the dsp mode I last used for that particular format. On fav dsp settings, I prefer " movie spectacle" regardless of dd or dts..because of the processing that best uses my 8.1 speaker setup....... sometimes on concert dvds, I'll mess around with several dsp modes. My receiver is an older Yamaha...... but a good one....

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have an older Yamaha with DSP modes and I basically never use the DSP modes when watching movies. I have actually prefered to listen to it the suround track without any enhanced DSP modes. This may or may not change once I get a new reciever next year.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

And to my knowledge the same goal is ment for comercial theaters as well. The goal of THX is ment to improve and give the audience the best presentation of the movie and as the director intended. THX is ment to work with Dolby and DTS surround sound systems and even the theatrical SDDS surround format.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I always wondered the difference in the many audio formats like 6.1 NEO, DD, etc., and one day I noticed in the back of my parents Denon reciever's manual it broke them all down with descriptions of them, (FYI they were paragraphs.) Not sure if this information helps, but you can always pull up a Denon manual online and see those. I'm still confused by them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks