What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which maybe is why "Sweet Smell" and "A Face in the Crowd" and "The Great Man" might be even MORE pertinent today....
Plus, it's much easier to manipulate them as the abilities to reach the masses has only grown with technological advances.

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Plus, it's much easier to manipulate them as the abilities to reach the masses has only grown with technological advances.
Very true..."A Face in the Crowd" could practically be seen as a documentary today
And JJ Hunsecker from "Sweet Smell" could easily be on TV in 2022, fitting right in quite nicely on certain platforms

Those 3 films were very prescient ....

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A big fan of VCI I had their VHS of the film And The There Were None then I bought the old Image disc I do think we will ever see a really great release of this film - wonder if the original neg even exists
I urge you to contact VCI, and inquire if they might re-release this title at some point? They are very responsive to inquirey and you may be very surprised by them.

waltodonnell

Agent
Real Name
Conor
Nuns on the Run. The US DVD release is long out of the print. Good cast (Eric Idle, Robbie Coltrane) and directed by Jonathan Lynn (Clue, My Cousin Vinny).

In the mid 90s, Ted Turner released a pile of TV movies on American Indian history for TNT, the first of which was Geronimo. It starred Joseph Runningfox in the title role. The TV film came out 4 or 5 days before the theatrical version starring Wes Studi. The TV film focused on Geronimo's life story whereas the the theatrical movie was only set during the last 2 or 3 years of his life as a free man before surrendering in 1886. I don't know if the TV movie was shot on film, then edited down on video, or if it was just shot on video. It was last available in the mid 90s on VHS. Someone ripped it and put it on YouTube.

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Nuns on the Run. The US DVD release is long out of the print. Good cast (Eric Idle, Robbie Coltrane) and directed by Jonathan Lynn (Clue, My Cousin Vinny).

In the mid 90s, Ted Turner released a pile of TV movies on American Indian history for TNT, the first of which was Geronimo. It starred Joseph Runningfox in the title role. The TV film came out 4 or 5 days before the theatrical version starring Wes Studi. The TV film focused on Geronimo's life story whereas the the theatrical movie was only set during the last 2 or 3 years of his life as a free man before surrendering in 1886. I don't know if the TV movie was shot on film, then edited down on video, or if it was just shot on video. It was last available in the mid 90s on VHS. Someone ripped it and put it on YouTube.
That's a hard one, with allof these mergers, buyouts and aqusitions sterring up the pot, until the smoke clears it is going to be impossible to disern who and where these titles landed and wether or not the ones that do have them, even know that they are in their collections? Especially older titles, pre 2000s.

[email protected]!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
ST LOUIS BLUES (Nat King Cole- VistaVision), SOUNDER, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (Film and Series!), OKOGE, PUNKS (Patrick Ian-Polk), NOAH’S ARC: JUMPING THE BROOM, THE SKINNY, STAR 80, NEW FACES (Eartha Kitt!), HELLZAPOPPIN’, LITTLE DORRIT, Parts I and II, THE MACK, WILLIE DYNAMITE, HIGH SOCIETY, SWEENEY TODD (Angela Lansbury and George Hearn), TAP, GAY PURREE, PACIFIC OVERTURES (Original Broadway Cast, Japanese Television) THE MUSIC LOVERS, THE DEVILS, LIL ABNER, SLEUTH (Caine, Olivier) FORTUNE and MEN’S EYES, COME BACK, CHARLESTON BLUE, THE GREAT WHITE HOPE, VICTIM, HAMLET(Richard Burton, Filmed Broadway Production, directed by Gielgud), INVITATION TO DANCE, THE LIFE of MOLIERE (Mnouchkine) HAMLET (Peter Brook Adrian Lester) THE TRAGEDIE du CARMEN (Peter Brook)

4KUHD- Any of the above and…
THE HATEFUL EIGHT (Full length Roadshow 70 MM), A PASSAGE TO INDIA, BARRY LYNDON, LOLA MONTES, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, RYAN’S DAUGHTER, CABARET, SWEET CHARITY, OKLAHOMA! THE KING and I, THE HUMAN CONDITION, COLLECTED WORKS of VISCONTI, HERO (Jet Li), HAIR, COLLECTED WORKS of KUROSAWA, BLACK NARCISSUS, THIEF OF BAGHDAD, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, ALIENS, THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT I-III, THE MUSIC MAN (remastered?), THE BIG PARADE, SUNRISE, FUNNY GIRL, ROPE, FRENZY, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS(Lumet!) NETWORK, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU’RE DEAD, CHINATOWN, ROSEMARY’S BABY, TESS, FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL! KILL! KING OF KINGS, THE EGYPTIAN, THE UMBRELLAS of CHERBOURG, THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT,

[email protected]!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
ST LOUIS BLUES (Nat King Cole- VistaVision), SOUNDER, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN (Film and Series!), OKOGE, PUNKS (Patrick Ian-Polk), NOAH’S ARC: JUMPING THE BROOM, THE SKINNY, STAR 80, NEW FACES (Eartha Kitt!), HELLZAPOPPIN’, LITTLE DORRIT, Parts I and II, THE MACK, WILLIE DYNAMITE, HIGH SOCIETY, SWEENEY TODD (Angela Lansbury and George Hearn), TAP, GAY PURREE, PACIFIC OVERTURES (Original Broadway Cast, Japanese Television) THE MUSIC LOVERS, THE DEVILS, LIL ABNER, SLEUTH (Caine, Olivier) FORTUNE and MEN’S EYES, COME BACK, CHARLESTON BLUE, THE GREAT WHITE HOPE, VICTIM, HAMLET(Richard Burton, Filmed Broadway Production, directed by Gielgud), INVITATION TO DANCE, THE LIFE of MOLIERE (Mnouchkine) HAMLET (Peter Brook Adrian Lester) THE TRAGEDIE du CARMEN (Peter Brook)

4KUHD- Any of the above and…
THE HATEFUL EIGHT (Full length Roadshow 70 MM), A PASSAGE TO INDIA, BARRY LYNDON, LOLA MONTES, DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, RYAN’S DAUGHTER, CABARET, SWEET CHARITY, OKLAHOMA! THE KING and I, THE HUMAN CONDITION, COLLECTED WORKS of VISCONTI, HERO (Jet Li), HAIR, COLLECTED WORKS of KUROSAWA, BLACK NARCISSUS, THIEF OF BAGHDAD, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, ALIENS, THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT I-III, THE MUSIC MAN (remastered?), THE BIG PARADE, SUNRISE, FUNNY GIRL, ROPE, FRENZY, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS(Lumet!) NETWORK, BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU’RE DEAD, CHINATOWN, ROSEMARY’S BABY, TESS, FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL! KILL! KING OF KINGS, THE EGYPTIAN, THE UMBRELLAS of CHERBOURG, THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT,
OK… in fairness NOT ALL FORGOTTEN but FILMS YET ON Blu Ray or UHD…

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
OK… in fairness NOT ALL FORGOTTEN but FILMS YET ON Blu Ray or UHD…
the opening discription to qualify the term,
As has been mentioned in various threads before, to the approaching doom of the archaic habit of collecting physical formats. There are still those of us that truly delight in having a disc in our hands, and being able to watch for ourselves and sharing them with those we love. Although many film titles are available on dvds or at least available in alturnate formats, there are still many films missing in the lineup of offerings.
Those MIA titles need to be recognised and perhaps even celebrated by those of us that would really want to see our long lost favorites spotlighted and honored. Granted, not all of these will be concidered Blockbusters, yet these films do hold a special place in our hearts. Some were released as either a dvd or in MOD format, and some not at all, still in any case, they truely need an HD or UHD facelift!!

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I was just looking through a book about movie awards, and noticed that in 1969, the runner up for Best Picture by the NY Film Critics Society was "Oh What a Lovely War", the first film directed by Richard Attenborough. Has this ever been released even on DVD in the US, much less Blu-ray ? I would love to see it ....I believe Paramount released the film theatrically in 1969. I wonder if they have the home video rights here

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
And I mentioned this in another thread, but what I think would probably be one of the greatest 4K releases ever if someone finally puts it out (and does it right), and that would be "Visions of Light", the great 1993 documentary about the art of cinematography.
PLEASE, someone make this available on 4k (or even regular ol' blur-ray ) !

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
These two animated classics that are severely underrated have never been released on blu.

Warner Archive released The Phantom Tollbooth for the first time on DVD through MOD back in 2010 and hasn't had any other releases since then. A few years ago I saw that it was playing on Criterion Channel and that gave me hope that they would release it sometime down the road.

This film made me fall in love with Chuck Jones work even more than watching his Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry shorts or How The Grinch Stole Christmas every Christmas. I love his style of animation, it's just so lively, colorful, and expressive.

Paramount has re-released 1973's Charlotte's Web on DVD for the last two decades now, but for some reason or another never been released on blu though. Just like with The Phantom Tollbooth, Criterion got me crossing my fingers for them to release it when I saw that it was being show on their streaming service last month.

I grew up with both of these films watching them regularly throughout the 90's and the early 2000's. Both films would be a welcome addition to their collection as well as my own.

1652558021803.png

1652558094787.png

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Pretty Maids All In A Row, Hotel, A Summer Place, Darker Than Amber, Our Town, Borsalino, Man On A Train, Remember Me My Love, Goodbye Columbus, Blood And Roses, The Adventurers (1970), Splendor In The Grass, The Errand Boy, The Bell Boy, Twice In A Lifetime, David Copperfield, Olive Twist, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Deadlier Than The Male, Soldier Of Orange, Nevada Smith, And God Created Woman (Bardot), The Last Diamond, The Woman Next Door, Confidentially Yours, Daddys Gone A Hunting, The Shootist.

cinemel1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Not a bad sequel to Peyton Place except for the fact that all the major rolls are re-cast with different actors. In the early 60s 20th-Fox released this and the original as a double bill when they saw that The Robe/Demetrius & the Gladiators did well as a pair. Mary Astor steals every scene she’s in. She doesn’t have to compete with another actress’ performance because her role didn’t exist in the original.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
With DREAMCHILD just having been announced as a Kino Lorber Blu Ray I'm hoping that another fantasy film might surface. That'd be the all but forgotten PHOTOGRAPHING FAIRIES. Keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks