What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Being a big James Coburn fan, I'd hoped for a release of, The Honkers (1972) MGM/Amazon.

My hope was that Kino might get this out on blu. They might do it or maybe someone dealing with one of the Vinegar Syndrome labels might put it out. They did a great blu of Rancho Deluxe. Other than those guys not sure who would do it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I start with Mike Nichols and have long been hoping to see Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge make it to blu. I've seen rumors around these potentially coming from Criterion, which makes sense to me.

Paramount have been getting stuff out so I am hoping for Will Penny from them.

Thank You For Smoking was a great satire, probably one of the last great satires because nobody wants to make them anymore, from 2005 that has never made it to blu.

Are these forgotten films? I don't know. Maybe. They are all outstanding pictures that I would love to see on blu. I have more but those are a start.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
John Boorman's The General with an amazing lead performance from Brendan Gleeson. Beautifully shot and I think in two versions, black and white (Boorman's preferred) and color.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I also love Stephen Soderbergh and would love to see two of his black and white pictures make it to blu, Kafka (probably now forgotten) and The Good German, which I know some did not like but I loved.

I think there is no excuse for these not to be available on blu, they are both striking looking films.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I start with Mike Nichols and have long been hoping to see Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge make it to blu. I've seen rumors around these potentially coming from Criterion, which makes sense to me.

Paramount have been getting stuff out so I am hoping for Will Penny from them.

Thank You For Smoking was a great satire, probably one of the last great satires because nobody wants to make them anymore, from 2005 that has never made it to blu.

Are these forgotten films? I don't know. Maybe. They are all outstanding pictures that I would love to see on blu. I have more but those are a start.
Thanks PB, it's always fun to see which movies others are wanting. For years for me Black Magic and the classic Invaders from Mars were at the top of my hit list!! Just got the ClassicFlix BD of Black Magic, it sure looks very close to the RMINI BD, the French one is cleaner at the end during the sword fighting scenes, but both are a joy to have on my collection. And now with Ignite's IFM so close, I can almost taste it, LOL!!!
Really the hunt and aquisition of wanted titles is the fun of it, thanks again for the shout...add more!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---GOODBYE MR CHIPS[69]---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----BREAKFAST ON PLUTO--THE BUTCHER BOY--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---SURVIVING PICASSO---ALICE DOSENT LIVE HERE ANYMORE ----STAR!---WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?

Many of the titles you mention would come from WAC, and I would add to them SINBAD THE SAILOR, SHOOT THE MOON, GUNGA DIN, etc.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
15776828881_962d67d453_o.jpg
return-to-peyton-place-movie-poster-1961-1020233871.jpg

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'll continue beating an already dead horse and mention some old reliables in my wish list...

Dragonslayer (1981) - I've been a big fan of this film since a theatrical showing so long ago. Really impressed with the presentation of Vermithrax Pejorative in this feature (ahem, the dragon). Would love to see this released.

The Keep (1983) - I am almost certain that this will never see the light of day, but I'll mention it anyway.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar
(1977) - Still really surprised that this has not been released. Terrific performance from Diane Keaton in this feature.

Quiz Show (1994) - Great period recreation in this film, and a strong effort from director Robert Redford and performers Ralph Fiennes and John Turturro. Another film that surprisingly has no release given the associated talent.

Panic Room (2002) - Amazingly still not on Blu-Ray in the U.S. It has been rumored that it will get a 2022 release. I guess we'll see.

Also the previously mentioned Will Penny which features one of Charlton Heston's best performances. Happy it has a release but would like a BD disc.

Disclaimer: One or more of these may be available outside Region A, but for the purposes of discussion I am limiting the existence of a HD disc to the U.S. market.

- Walter.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Many of the titles you mention would come from WAC, and I would add to them SINBAD THE SAILOR, SHOOT THE MOON, GUNGA DIN, etc.
I'm amazed that neither the brilliant colored Sinbad with Maureen OHara, Douglas Fairbanks Jr and Anthony Quinn has neve gottn the HD treatment...and the wonderful adventure classic Dunga Din with Sam Jaffe, Fairbanks Jr again, Vitor Mclaglen, Cary Grant and Joan Fontain (Olivia De Havelin's sister).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
egae.jpg

Somebody please explain to me why Earth Girls Are Easy (1989) has never been on blu? Not a hit in theaters, it did a slow burn and wound up being much talked about when it came to HBO and vhs. Everybody saw it, everybody rented it. It's the most 80s of all the 80s movies. It has a ridiculously over-talented, all-star cast, Jeff Goldblum takes his shirt off...a lot. Jim Carrey was born here. Julie Brown turns the thing into a musical. It's a time capsule of 80s kitsch, and I mean that in the most positive way. Where is it?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
View attachment 136431

Somebody please explain to me why Earth Girls Are Easy (1989) has never been on blu? Not a hit in theaters, it did a slow burn and wound up being much talked about when it came to HBO and vhs. Everybody saw it, everybody rented it. It's the most 80s of all the 80s movies. It has a ridiculously over-talented, all-star cast, Jeff Goldblum takes his shirt off...a lot. Jim Carrey was born here. Julie Brown turns the thing into a musical. It's a time capsule of 80s kitsch, and I mean that in the most positive way. Where is it?
Seeing as it's owned by Lionsgate may have something to do with it?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
1651345818878.png

Totally shameless Christmas tear-jerker. It has an HD transfer on Amazon, but never made it to DVD or Blu-ray. Would absolutely LOVE to have this on Blu. Both Moores are at the top of their game.

JFKarr

Grip
Real Name
John Karr
Slave of Love; Lovers of Teruel; Los Tarantos; Borsalino.
Heads up, Captain Cheese Pro; There's a Blu-ray release of The Legend of 1900 easily available at Amazon.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
As has been mentioned in various threads before, to the approaching doom of the archaic habit of collecting physical formats. There are still those of us that truly delight in having a disc in our hands, and being able to watch for ourselves and sharing them with those we love. Although many film titles are available on dvds or at least available in alturnate formats, there are still many films missing in the lineup of offerings.
Those MIA titles need to be recognised and perhaps even celebrated by those of us that would really want to see our long lost favorites spotlighted and honored. Granted, not all of these will be concidered Blockbusters, yet these films do hold a special place in our hearts. Some were released as either a dvd or in MOD format, and some not at all, still in any case, they truely need an HD or UHD facelift!!

Yeah Yeah, I can hear the retorts as I write this...but let's say "in a perfect world" What titles in your hitlist would YOU want to see with full restoration and disc release in any HD format?
For me my forst 2 would be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_with_Green_Hair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900
The Corrupt Ones (1967) with Robert Stack, Elke Sommer, and Nancy Kwan. This crime, adventure, and treasure film has never been released in North America.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
The Corrupt Ones (1967) with Robert Stack, Elke Sommer, and Nancy Kwan. This crime, adventure, and treasure film has never been released in North America.

Attachments

• The Corrupt Ones.jpg
    The Corrupt Ones.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 37

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
And speaking of lovely Nancy Kwan, what's the hold-up on "The World of Suzie Wong'? We're finally getting "Flower Drum Song" this year (from Kino) but still no Suzie Wong'. Love that movie.

Other 60's to 80's titles that remain elusive
The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders(1965) Kim Novak
Ash Wednesday(1973) Elizabeth Taylor
Tarzan the Ape Man(1981) Bo Derek

Somehow that last one (not critically admired but a big moneymaker in its day) never even got a soundtrack album. And Perry Botkin's score is marvelous. Check out this lush YouTube link:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks