What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I'd love to see the Jessie Matthews musicals get the Blu-ray treatment (Evergreen, The Good Companions, It's Love Again, First A Girl, etc).
And another vote for The Devils - it's time for Warner's to put on the "big boy pants" and let this out of captivity!
Also one more - John Stahl's wonderful silent film "Memory Lane" which Warner owns but like many others that are in limbo, it needs a musical accompaniment.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
YES! YES! YES! PLEASE! As well as
HIGH SOCIETY
LIL ABNER
THE CROWD
HALLELUJAH
RYAN’S DAUGHTER
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN
GANCE NAPOLEON
Disney SLEEPING BEAUTY
A PASSAGE TO INDIA
TALES OF HOFFMAN
MAURICE
CARMEN JONES
OKLAHOMA!
THE KING and I
GIGI
CABARET
ALL THAT JAZZ
LENNY
THE LEOPARD
LUDWIG
MOONLIGHT
From your list SLEEPING BEAUTY, A PASSAGE TO INDIA, MAURICE, CARMEN JONES, OKLAHOMA!, THE KING AND I, GIGI, CABARET, ALL THAT JAZZ, THE LEOPARD, LUDWIG, MOONLIGHT all have Blu-ray releases that I’m aware of. Others like LI’L ABNER, RYAN’S DAUGHTER, HIGH SOCIETY, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN. NAPOLEON - all are much to be desired!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Both James Coburn's Flint movies could do with a reissue seeing as the Twilight Time release are long out of print. Unfortunately, however Disney owns these two films now, so there's very little hope of seeing them anytime soon aside from some channel on TV.

1683157842085.png

Real Name
Rolf Skrinde
The fantastically atmospheric Apartment Zero. An underappreciated thriller with touches of black comedy with great roles for Colin Firth and a mesmerizing Hart Bochner. Written by Martin Donavan and David Koepp (Death Becomes Her, Carlito's Way, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, War of the Worlds, and the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, to name a few). Produced by Skouras Pictures, who have very few blu rays and no 4K. A widescreen DVD exists but is barely acceptable. A remaster would be a real treat for noir fans. Who is releasing product by Skouras Pictures? Anyone know?
MovieQuiz_818-x-2.JPG

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
A couple movies from the early '90s I can't believe were never released on Blu-ray:

Bob Roberts - Tim Robbins' directing debut is a very funny movie with a great cast, and was well received in its day. The political satire is just as relevant now. The best available edition is a DVD. It's not even streaming anywhere.

Bugsy - Barry Levinson's biopic about gangster Bugsy Malone was nominated for a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor for Warren Beatty. It was also a pretty important breakout role for Annette Bening. There seem to be HD streaming options available for rental, but I have no idea how old the master is (probably very) or how it looks.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The fantastically atmospheric Apartment Zero. An underappreciated thriller with touches of black comedy with great roles for Colin Firth and a mesmerizing Hart Bochner. Written by Martin Donavan and David Koepp (Death Becomes Her, Carlito's Way, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, War of the Worlds, and the upcoming Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, to name a few). Produced by Skouras Pictures, who have very few blu rays and no 4K. A widescreen DVD exists but is barely acceptable. A remaster would be a real treat for noir fans. Who is releasing product by Skouras Pictures? Anyone know?
View attachment 182881
I agree Apartment Zero would be a great candidate for Blu-ray. The DVD version I believe was a later edited version at 117 minutes, as opposed to the original theatrical version running time of 124 minutes. I was never sure why the director approved the shortened version, and never watched it to see what was left out (similar to the situation of Picnic at Hanging Rock, I’d hope for a release with both versions made available). But I liked the film, and found the dynamics of the characters’ relationship and Buenos Aires setting fascinating. A fine modern noir psychological thriller.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Both James Coburn's Flint movies could do with a reissue seeing as the Twilight Time release are long out of print. Unfortunately, however Disney owns these two films now, so there's very little hope of seeing them anytime soon aside from some channel on TV.

View attachment 182879
I love those silly films, & I love the Jerry Goldsmith's catchy jazzy scores even more. The Blu-rays are still available from France, either separately or combined & really quite cheap, I don't know if they're region locked or not. I think that's the last place you can buy them, & maybe not for much longer - I can't see Disney re-mastering or re-issuing them.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i didn't notice that LOST SOULS is available with BluRay release...
01000835.1.jpg

...or had i missed some other region release?​

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just seen on Ebay a publicity photo for The Last Time I Saw Archie, a film that seems to have been forgotten. It stars Robert Mitchum, a particular favorite of mine, and Martha Hyer whom I also like. Jack Webb co-stars and directed, and, come to think of it, I've always liked him on the few occasions I've seen him in anything. I'd appreciate a Blu-ray disc of this movie.

Crimlaw25

Auditioning
Real Name
F. Phillip Renzulli
Vittorio De Sica has a few classic films missing in action on blu ray:

Gold of Naples
Two Women
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
To my knowledge, John Badham's "Whose Life is it Anyway"?, featuring Richard Dreyfuss, has never been in high-def. It left me a great impression many years ago, and I think that truly deserves to be released in HD.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
To my knowledge, John Badham's "Whose Life is it Anyway"?, featuring Richard Dreyfuss, has never been in high-def. It left me a great impression many years ago, and I think that truly deserves to be released in HD.
Has it ever been released in its original colour version? Maybe at the beginning of the VHS era?

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
NEVER CRY WOLF (1983) starring Charles Martin Smith. This deserves (yes, like a number of other Disneys) a Criterion.

THE LONE RANGER (1956) Feature adaptation of TV series starring Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels. Only ever available on DVD, and only in either full screen (ClassicMedia release) or Non--anamorphic widescreen (VCI Home Video release).

THE LONE RANGER & THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (1958 sequel) C. Moore, J. Silverheels (as with first film, only ever issued in either fullscreen or Non--16x9 widescreen)

Alternate theatrical versions of hit TV series episodes, incl.:

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E films (All 9 of them -- at least the first couple of which were made from color versions of episodes that aired in B&W) in *widescreen* format

KOROSHI (feature-length version of final two episodes of "Danger Man"/"Secret Agent")

Last edited:

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Universal's Red Sky at Morning. I had thought it was destroyed in the fire, but come to find out from Kino, there are legal issues. What those issues are, I have no idea. And from Warner, I wait patiently for an upgrade of A Summer Place, which is said to need a new scan, but apparently, they don't want to do that since it still languishes while we get Yogi Bear instead. Other than that, I'm good.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Vittorio De Sica has a few classic films missing in action on blu ray:

Gold of Naples
Two Women
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis.
Two Women came out on Blu-ray disc in the U.K. some time ago. I have the disc and it's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks