What's new

What Film would you pay to see Back on the Big Screen? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have seen a couple films back on the big screen in the past:

The Goonies. Loved it.

Ghostbusters. Even better as an adult than the 3 times I watched it in 84. Great stuff.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Serpico
Dog Day Afternoon
Die Hard
Poltergeist
The Thing ('82)
Tourist Trap
Field of Dreams
Rudy
Hoosiers
Miracle
Escape from Alcatraz
My Bloody Valentine

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I watched "Footloose" back on the big screen recently :) It's such campy fun.

But I'm eager to see "Ghostbusters" 1&2 in a "double feature" later in the summer.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Raiders Of The Lost Ark & The Temple of Doom
Titanic
Fellowship of the Ring-Extended Edition
Terminator 2
Psycho
Adventures Of Robin Hood
Rear Window
Aliens
The Sound Of Music
Star Wars (1977)

:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For anyone living or vacationing in the Vermont area, the Savoy Theater in Montpelier is running a Sci-Fi July series throughout the month, with some classic titles showing at 11pm every Fri/Sat night. The titles:
  • Blade Runner (FREE!, Opening Night)
  • Tron
  • Alphaville
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Metropolis
  • Dune
  • THX-1138
  • Solaris (1972)
The Savoy is a small, independent theater and is not the latest-and-greatest state-of-the-art presentation, but it might still be fun.

http://www.savoytheater.com/scifijuly.html

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks for the links to those theatres. I now have listings for theatres showing older movies in 29 states.

I've also managed to find screenings for many of the films that you guys have voted for.

Poll results (with screenings!) at my blog

Hopefully this blog has been a helpful resource for some of you. I've had fun putting it together.

Jonesy

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
- 2001: A Space Odyssey (70mm or Cinerama)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (by no means a great film but would be gorgeous on a big screen)
- How The West Was Won (Cinerama)
- Fantasia
- Lawrence Of Arabia (70mm)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

Agree with that list, I would only replace Star Trek with Star Wars
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
. I could go on and on with other titles, but basically every classic film (especially on big format) I know I would like to see on a movie screen. And some newer films as well. I missed so many films in the movie theaters it's not even funny.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

I remember seeing this one that way when it came out in 1968.:emoji_thumbsup:

There was only ONE THEATRE in Detroit that showed this Movie in Cinerama!

I'd love to see ALL SIX Star Wars Movies in IMAX!:D

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
If you live in Los Angeles, you probably know about all the classic movie opportunities... but if you don't, or are visiting, here's some info:

The American Cinematheque programs two theaters with classic movies, one in Hollywood (Sid Grauman's Egyptian) and the other in Santa Monica (the Aero), often with special guests. The Aero just showed The Abyss and Aliens in 70mm with James Cameron in attendance.

The Los Angeles Conservancy hosts six movies each spring/summer in an event called Last Remaining Seats. These shows are in the classic movie palaces downtown, and often feature special guests and added attractions. This year, they've already shown The Sting and Buck Privates, with Cabaret, Streetcar Named Desire, Pandora's Box (with live organ accompaniment) and a Brazillian movie, Macunaima still to go. All shows are sold out except Macunaima, but here's a hint: there are usually tickets available at the door, if you're willing to live dangerously. They also show a holiday film in December, and it benefits a great organization.

The Jules Verne Adventure Film Festival started in Paris, but a few years ago they opened operations in LA. Their next event: honoring Tony Curtis live at the Million Dollar Theatre downtown with screenings of Houdini and the 50th anniversary of Some Like It Hot. This event is cohosted by the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation who are responsible for last Halloween's downtown Spooktacular screenings of Night of the Living Dead and Re-Animator. They're working to bring more stars and films downtown.

You would expect LA to have a cool theater showing silent movies -- but how about two? The Silent Movie on Fairfax is still going strong, and there's also the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo with a Wurlitzer organ, singalongs, and great popcorn. The Music Hall programs silents, classic sound movies, and live music.

Similar to the Cinematheque is Landmark's NuArt Theatre in West LA, with the added bonus of midnight screenings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The New Beverly Cinema is another hotspot for cinephiles, with great double features. Then there's the summer screenings in Hollywood Forever Cemetery and on the Santa Monica pier. And the ArcLight occasionally shows classics in the Cinerama Dome and in the ArcLight theatres. The Alex in Glendale has Three Stooges festivals.

Have I missed any?

JyBhushan

Grip
Real Name
JyBhushan
I have spent three days searching for some common reason for this.its help me tnx bro

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

cf525

Second Unit
The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, and any of the Indiana Jones movies would probably be at the top of my list...although that list is probably pretty long. :)

Are there any good places in San Francisco to see classic movies? I know the Red Vic shows some on occasion, as does the Castro Theater.

I think the best place I know to watch classic films on screen in the SF Bay Area is the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. Their summer schedule looks pretty fun. I missed Casablanca but I'm definitely going to try to get down there for My Fair Lady and one of the Sherlock Holmes movies.

And looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to LA to all those cool spots Don Solosan mentioned!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks