What's new

What Film would you pay to see Back on the Big Screen? (1 Viewer)

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff
On my blog I run a poll with the same subject, and for the top picks, I post links to actual screenings around the country.

I love my home theater (720p LCD pj on 100" screen), but I still go out of my way to see my favorites on film whenever I can. (I caught Jaws last month and had a blast!)

I thought I'd open it up to the forum, to spread the word. The more successful these screenings are, the more there will be.

Reply to this thread with titles, and I'll tally them on my blog. I'll also post links to screenings of HTF favorites in this thread.

Cheers,
Jonesy
MovieTheatreReviews

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've paid to see quite a few older films on the big screen, but then I live in LA where that's commonplace
Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm (already seen a couple times this way, always willing to go back)
Gone With the Wind (I don't like the movie, but I'd like to see it on film with an audience)
Jaws (this film is such tremendous fun with an audience)
The Godfather (a treat to see on film)
Sound of Music in 70mm (still haven't got to this one)
My Fair Lady in 70mm (only seen it in unrestored 35mm)
A Streetcar Named Desire (not crazy about the film, but it's electric on the big screen)
A Matter of Life and Death (the piss-poor video releases do not do this film justice, nor does the nice restored version TCM has, it demands to be seen on film)
The Ten Commandments (wonderful on film)
The Apartment (the fabulous cinematography is really noticeable on film)
Casablanca (breathtaking on the big screen)
To Kill a Mockingbird (even more powerful with a sniffling audience)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (believe it or not, there's not a single cheesy moment when on the big screen, with an audience, it only rings tinny on a home presentation)
Dr. Strangelove (never seen on the big screen, very much want to)

Then of course there are the tragically 'lost' films of the seventies and Eighties I never expect to see on film.

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
E.T.
The Return of the Jedi

I'd probably pay between 25 and 50$ to see the real versions of those films, I've seen the other versions on film, and they are adequete but not the same.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Titanic
And it's the ten year anniversary :) But nothing announced yet :frowning: That would be my #1 for the big screen.

I never saw Blade Runner on the big screen, and I'd love to.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Since I was born in 1982, I only saw a few 80s movies in theaters, and those titles were all kids/family titles. I'd love to be able to see any other 80s movie on the big screen. I don't live near any revival houses, so I'll never know the pleasure of seeing a retro movie on the big screen. It'll happen someday, though.

On a more classic note, I would love to see "Casblanca", "Gone With The Wind" and "The Wizard Of Oz" in theaters. That would kick ass.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Hell, I don't get out that often to the movies now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Definitely "JAWS". The only film of that franchise I was old enough to see on the big screen was "Jaws the Revenge" :eek:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Jaws. That was my first "favorite movie" way back when I was about 4.

Besides that, there are tons I'd love to see: Superman, Aliens, The Terminator, etc.

I hope Blade Runner does indeed get its rumored theatrical release this year. I won't get my hopes up since another Ridley Scott film (Alien) was supposed to get the same treatment a few years ago, only to get pulled at the last minute. I know it got a limited release, but it didn't make it around here.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Another vote for JAWS. I was 8 years old when it came out. I remember that summer everything was JAWS. My mom wouldn't take me because she thought it was too scary for me.

Other movies I'd like to see:
E.T.
Temple of Doom
Star Trek I,II,III
Original Star Wars
Ten Commandments
Vertigo

RyanAn

Screenwriter
The original Star Wars films - maybe I'd like them more. (than I already do...heh...)

Christmas Vacation

The Back to the Future trilogy.

Indiana Jones trilogy.

Friday the 13th

Magnolia

Wizard of Oz

It's a Wonderful Life (I've never seen it...)

The Godfather series

New York, New York

The Blues Brothers

Matrix

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see Jaws in the theater (due to not being alive in 1975) but I did get to see it two years ago in an art theater and I can tell you guys, it was incredible. I know the movie forwards and backwards but seeing the movie with an audience reacting was amazing. The crowd screamed at some parts and there was a lady that was literally sitting on the edge of her seat during the last part of the movie. I've never seen a movie garner that level of a reaction before.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The Shawshank Redemption
The Untouchables
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Office Space
Revenge of the Nerds
Rocky
Nighthawks (with the proper music)
Hardbodies

and about 500 others...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
At the ripe old age of 57 I've had the experience of seeing many of the films now considered classics during their initial theatrical releases, probably starting with Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in the early 50s.

Those that I'd really like to see again on a big screen:

Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Cleopatra, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia--for their sheer spectacle.

Disney's Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp--the golden age of Disney Animation.

The Roger Corman produced Universal International Poe-themed horror flicks (with Vincent Price) and Hammer Frankenstein/Dracula stuff--great cheesy fun.

Jaws and Alien--the downright scariest 4 hours of my life.

Titanic--one of the few modern cgi-intensive movies that matches (actually exceeds) the sheer spectacle of the hard ticket epics of the late 50s-early
60s.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
You might better ask which old movies I wouldn't pay to see.

Because I'd sooner pay to see an old movie projected than a new one, in most cases, and I'm much younger than Steve Shaffer (movies are not made for his age group and never were -- sorry, old man).

Take my advice: see every old movie that you can on a big screen whenever and as often as possible. Make a point of it. In fact, make it a priority in your life to attend every restoration, re-release, and repertory screening that comes to your area, or get in the car and drive to wherever it's happening. Old movies are still a happening if you give them a chance. Watching old movies projected on a big screen enriches your life. In 1983 and 1984 I watched five Hitchcock films from the 1950s projected theatrically. They had been out of circulation for some people's lifetime and as old as they were the audience's attention was riveted. I learned a lot about film making from watching them, repeatedly. I've seen re-releases of Chinatown, Touch of Evil, The Wild Bunch, The Passenger, The Searchers, How the West Was Won, House of Wax 3-D, Dial M For Murder 3-D, The Seventh Seal, North By Northwest, Day For Night, Don't Look Back, Bullett and Bonnie & Clyde, Blade Runner, Fantasia, That Darn Cat!, Gone With the Wind, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, Horror of Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein, Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Thudnerball, Golderfinger, On Her majesty's Secret Service, The Graduate, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, and Night of the Living Dead (you bet!) and many others entertain audiences even though they'd seen the films on the small screen before. Old movies still work on the big screen, oftentimes they work better than new movies do. I've seen a packed house react in unison to Gorilla At Large. If Gorilla At Large can still hold an audience, so can every other movie ever made.

I would like to see Hondo 3-D re-released in the fall, perhaps with some other fine westerns, to coincide with theatrical releases of the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and the new Jesse James. Hollywood hates old westerns, but the strange thing is, audiences are screaming for them. Screaming for theatrical re-releases of old westerns and screaming for new westerns. The industry isn't listening.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
DIAL M FOR MURDER (polarized 3-D)
HOUSE OF WAX (ditto)
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (ditto)
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (ditto)
KING KONG (1933)
WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953)
THE ROAD WARRIOR
DR. NO
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
GOLDFINGER
THUNDERBALL
YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (I did pay to see this on the big screen in 2002, and would do it again, without hesitation)
POINT BLANK (1967)
THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST
THE NAKED PREY

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks