What features should I look for in a 16x9 tv?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i also posted this in the tv forum, but i think it may be more appropriate here. sorry if this is a double-post for you.
    i'm not real familiar with current tv technology, so i was hoping some of you could assist. basically, i'm wondering what kind of features and/or specs i should be looking for. i'm looking to spend approximately $2500.00 on a set. other than that, the only things i'm aware of include:
    [*]defeatable svm[*]component inputs[*]separate memory settings for each input[*]some sort of internal line-doubling (not sure about this...)[*]dual tuners (no big deal here...i can take it or leave it)[*]p.i.p. (again...no big deal)
    that's about all i can think of. if anyone can suggest other "must-have" features, please reply.
    also, if any particular brands or models come to mind, please let me know. i'm not particularily brand-loyal when it comes to tv's, so my mind's wide-open.
    thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.
    [Edited last by Ted Lee on August 20, 2001 at 07:42 PM]

2. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

A 55" Mitsubhishi fits what your looking for! I love mine (its my 3rd child!)
    I have the WS55807, which is the 2001 model. The 55809 is the 2002 model.
    It has two sets of component inputs(480i/480p), and a DTV input (RGB-HV).
    You have to go into the sevice menu to disable SVM, but it takes about 30 seconds, and is the very first tweak I did with mine....SUPER easy. The settings can be set for each input, which can also be enabled/disabled. It has 2 different PIP, and about 5 different POP (picture out of picture).
    Alot of the "in the know" people like the Mits line because they are super "tweakable", and you can really get the performance of lets say a Pioneer Elite HD RPTV for a lot less money. On another forum....www.hometheaterspot.com , alot of the ISF techs are Mits fans for this reason.
    IMHO, I dont think you can do better for the money, although to keep things from being completely slanted, I have heard good things about the "H" series from Toshiba.
    Matt
    ------------------
    ....Eat, Drink, and Be Merry, For Tomorrow We Die....--DMB
    NO OAR-NO SALE WARNER!
    [Edited last by Matt Heebner on August 21, 2001 at 08:56 PM]

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

great info matt - thanks much!
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

defeatable svm
    component inputs
    separate memory settings for each input
    some sort of internal line-doubling (not sure about this...)
    What are all of the above?

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I also recommend the Mitsubishi line of RPTVs. I recently bought the WS-65907 and I love it. Most RPTVs come out of the box with a picture that's not very good. One of the factors that helped convince me to purchase a Mitsubishi was the presence of The Spot (www.hometheaterspot.com) as mentioned previously by Matt. The knowledgeable people there and the numerous tweaks with step by step instructions have helped me get my picture looking great.

6. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

defeatable svm = scan velocity modulation is a type of digital edge enhancement, and defeatable means that can be turned off. Or, you could get a set that never had this evil signal corruption feature in the first place
    component inputs = also known as Y Pb Pr, component video is the best type of video signal (well, maybe second best to RGB+HV, actually), superior to s-video, which is superior to composite. HD receivers use either component or RGB or both types of outputs. I consider it an absolute requirement that my set accepts both component and RGB/VGA, but for some component may suffice. I'm actually not even using the component input on my set at present, and probably will only use it for X-Box.
    separate memory settings for each input = you have various user controllable parameters for the picture, like height, width, color, tint, etc., and usually you have a few different separate memory areas, which is useful to set your picture up differently for different input devices, which may output pictures with different brightness etc. My Philips set does not have separate memory settings for each input, however it does have 6 different memory areas, two for each of 480i/480p/960i, 540p/1080i, and 600p/1200i, making it more flexible than most sets.
    some sort of internal line-doubling = that which converts 480i to 480p. Basic TV is 480i, which is 240 lines in 1/60th of a second and then the other 240 lines in between those in the next 1/60th of a second, whereas 480p is all 480 lines each 1/60th of a second. 480p is a much smoother picture, revealing more of the detail. I don't consider this a necessity, as you can always buy an external line doubler, such as a DVDO iScan Pro.
    Other things to look for:
    Contrast.
    HDTV performance.
    Squeeze/unsqueeze modes (i.e., 16:9/4:3 modes.)
    HTPC compatibility (RGB input, VGA sync modes).
    Fine convergence (55+ point convergence).
    Service mode accessibility.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

abdul -
    great info. if i may ask, could you elaborate on:
    1. hdtv performance: clarification/examples?
    2. squeeze/unsqueeze: i've no clue what that is.
    thanks!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    This page is not here.