What features do you look for in speakers (other than price)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rory Buszka, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I am just looking into this and wondering what features you look for in your speakers, and specifically what you would think of these three test cases. Assume that they are designed such that the crossovers integrate the drivers properly, etc., and that the speakers are decently efficient

Test case 1: Reference Music Listening Bookshelf Speaker
    -Solidly-built MDF enclosure
    -7" woofer such as the Vifa Premium Line
    -Planar Isodynamic tweeter such as Dayton PT2
    -10" side-firing passive radiator for extended deep bass performance
    -Flat FR
    -Really good crossover components
    Price being about $400 per speaker

Test case 2: 3-way Regular-line Home theater Floorstanding Loudspeaker (relatively no-frills as compared to Reference designation)
    -6.5" midwoofer with phase plug such as the Peerless HDS in a separate sealed enclosure
    -Bass-reflex lower enclosure with dual 6.5" bass drivers, extending to 45 Hz (that's real response, not in-room or overstated)
    -Titanium Dioxide-coated inverted dome tweeter
    -Flat FR
    Price being about $550 per speaker

Test case 3: 3-way Reference Home Theater Towers
    -5" Midwoofer in a separate sealed enclosure (think Vifa Premium Line)
    -10" Side-firing long-throw bass driver (nothing real crazy) with dual 10" passive radirators in separate lower chamber, extending to 35 Hz (again, real response before room correction, not overstated)
    -Planar Isodynamic Tweeter
    -High power handling
    -Price being about $700 per speaker

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Sound like Paradigm models(Monitor and Studio)..............?

Everything mentioned above are good points, go with what sounds best to you in the end.

4. John S

John S Producer

I look for flat response, some actually don't like flat response speakers, but I come from an audio engineer back ground, and pretty much demand they be flat from 80 to 20K HZ.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I look for reviews with measurements. Try Stereophile or www.audiovideoreviews.com and then look up the Loudspeaker reviews with the NRC logo. This is an interesting question as I have just replaced the 7 of the 7.1 in my system. Here was my list:

1) Reviews with measurements. (Flat freq response. Wide dispersion.)
    2) < $2k street price for the front pair
    3) -3dB point of 30 Hz. (I want to use a 60 Hz xover on the fronts.)
    4) No integrated subs (too much of a hassle to integrate. I have a separate sub for that)
    5) Surrounds/rears that are *not* direct radiating (I went with omnipolar; direct radiators didn't work in my room. Too localizeable/distracting.)
    6) 60-80 lbs each for the fronts (a measure of build quality)
    7) Reputable brand with a good warranty

For example, you have some detailed descriptions about some of the internal parts. Me, I don't care about any of that if the freq response is flat (and other measurements like distortion, impedance results, phase response, impulse tests, cabinet resonances, etc). Obviously, you want to see some favorable reviews in general even without measurements.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That all means absolutely nothing to me. Go listen to them. To think that you can guess what a speaker is going to sound like based on specs etc is pretty ridiculous.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chris mentions the most important part: got to listen to 'em too. [​IMG]

8. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Sound is the most important thing. What's in them doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned. Build quality is important, but that is probably harder to determine unless you are a real expert at different parts. Company reputation is important to me because I want support after the sale, and I want good resale value if I ever want to sell.