What extras should a music/concert dvd have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AnthonyWilliams, Jan 22, 2003.

1. AnthonyWilliams

AnthonyWilliams Auditioning

I have noticed that the majority of my music/concert dvds (I have 28 of them at the moment) have ever no extras, or very little extras. What sort of extras should music/concert dvds have?

Some of the extras I've seen include

Photos/discography - I don't find these very interesting but can be informative if you don't know much about the artist.

Documentary - I find it very annoying when these are placed throughout the concert. One of my dvds (Travis - live in Glasgow) have a selection for playing the concert and documentary separately. I think the documentary should be kept separate.

Concert rehearsal - The Diana Krall dvd has a rehearsal 'extra' on it. Very interesting, especially if they make mistakes, do different versions, play around with it etc

Multi-angle views - I am not really a huge fan of this. I trust the director to pick the best view for me. I was disappointed that the U2 - live in Boston dvd had an entire dvd devoted to multi-angles. I have not used this feature at all and would have preferred to save $10 or so and just bought the first dvd with the concert on it.

Single videos - Interesting to see.

That's about all the extra's I've seen on my dvds. Any thoughts about what you have seen or would like to see?

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Marillion and Spock's Beard concert DVDs I have feature my favorite extras- other live footage from in-store or odd settings, handling questions from the audience, playing acoustic versions of songs, and doing some unexpected covers.

3. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

For me the ideal concert disc would have the entire concert with a 5.1 mix, like the U2 disc, and a PCM track, extra tracks(with or without video) like the Robert Johnson Hellhounds disc and a performance as good as the Luther Allison Live In Paradise disc.
    I like documentaries, but I don't like when they are cut in between songs. I prefer them separate.
    I don't think a PCM track should be considered an extra, but it seems like that is how many companies are treating it, and thats wrong. Every concert disc should include a PCM track.

Regards
    KrisM

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Commentaries can be fun. Melissa Etheridge does one for "Live... And Alone", and she adds a lot of good information. Too bad these don't happen more frequently...

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    one interesting, thought somewhat mislabelled, extra on David Gilmour's concert was additional footage that focused on his hands during some notable guitar solos. it was cited as showing his fingering, for guitar players to try and learn, but I found that it was a slightly wider shot of the entire guitar (i.e. both hands), which made left-hand work a little less easy to make out.

still interesting though. other interesting extras might be lyrics, for some karaoke die-hards maybe a 2.0 vocal-less mix might be welcome (not for me, though). otherwise Anthony's just about covered all the really interesting worthwhile extras IMHO.

to digress, a TV ad here for the Stones' Forty Licks has a shot from a camera mounted at the end of Richards' guitar, so when he's moving back and forth and all, the "foreground" remains squarely fixed down the fretboard to the body, but the rest of the shot is swaying A LOT as he moves about. gives me vertigo, but it seems an interesting shot too nonetheless.

6. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

For flashy stage shows (Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, etc) extras like documentaries (or perhaps time elapsed footage) of the stage hands setting up and tearing down would be cool.

Behind the scenes with the technical help (sound crew, lighting, etc) would be good.

Rehearsel footage

7. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

I like to know who the other musicians are and a little about their background, who else they've played with, etc.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

all I ask is a quality 5.1 mix.
    the NIN DVD still blows me away every time I watch it.

9. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

I'll mention something a music DVD SHOULDN'T have: layer changes in the middle of a performance, like the ones on "Genesis: The Way We Walk." And during my two favorite numbers too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I haven't gotten rid of my VHS copy for that reason.