What's new

What exists for 2 channel preamps with HT pass-through? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to develop a list of stereo preamps that will all me to also connect my HT Receiver to it. I believe it is reffered to as a passive or HT pass-though option. Know of any preamps with this option?

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
The Adcom GFP-750 has this option. It has gotten great reviews for its sound quality.

- Ken

Alex F.

Second Unit
I, too, have recently been looking at preamps that have this capability. Others of which I am aware are models by Pass, Conrad-Johnson (both tube and solid-state), Audio Research (tube and SS), and Mark Levinson. You could also use a McIntosh C42 by using one of its line inputs and finding the unity-gain setting on its digital volume readout (a McIntosh tech said it's at about "80").

I am very enamored with the C42 preamp at present. It offers superb performance (dead quiet, smooth, clean, tube-like grainlessness, and a huge, open soundstage) complemented by many useful features, including a moving-magnet phono preamp, headphone output, 8-band EQ, and a large array of both single-ended and balanced inputs and outputs.

Happy listening!

KeithR

Second Unit
Go tubes if you can...the new Cary 2002 has remote, ht bypass, etc...and a glorious Cary midrange. Not very pricy, either.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

I'm also in the market for a 2-channel pre, and if all you want to do is integrate your receiver with the pre using the same speakers, you don't really need the HT-pass thru option. I'm assuming you also have a power amp, so connection will go something like this:

For 2 channel stereo:

Connect the preout of the pre to the input for your power amp. Connect any source components (cd player etc.) to the pre.

For HT:

Connect the pre-outs of your receiver to an input of your 2 channel preamp, and pick an easy to remember position on the volume knob for the 2-channel pre (eg. straight up) and calibrate the volume to match your other channels use the test tones of your receiver or a disc like AVIA. So, when you watch a movie, just select the input which the pre-out of your receiver is connected to, then turn the volume knob to your pre-calibrated position.

If you need to use for example dolby pro logic decoding for your 2 channel sources, then just connect the source to your tape loop on the pre. Nothing easier!

Of course, this might be pretty confusing (I know it was trying to explain it in writing with no diagrams!) so just give a holler if you want more clarification. This option will really broaden your scope to encompass both cheaper and esoteric models. If you happen to live in Australia, look no further than the ME Sound 14/24- compared to and better than (according to the people who've heard it at the dealer) the Levinson 380S.

Cheers,

Mike

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Cary! Cary! Cary! (Yes, I own one). Depending on your requirement for inputs, the SLP-50B might be an option although I think its discontinued but may be available used.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
What about the new Sony TA-P9000ES it got rave reviews not that long ago in one of the trade mags and would give you multiple 5.1 inputs for SACD and DVD-A

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks