What exactly needs to be done for my RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMo, Jun 26, 2002.

1. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

I am having my Samsung HCL4715W RPTV ISFd sometime soon I am hoping....... when my replacement screen cover shows up. It didn't last time. I think I may have upset the guy when I asked him to fix it and then again when or if the new screen shows up but thats not what I'm posting a thread about. I have no dout that he is an expert and he certainly has done great in the past but I want to be sure he isn't leaving something out because he may not be getting payed much by ____ and probobly has little free time.
    He is friendly and explains things well and I enjoy having him over, but I guess to often is not practical.
    [​IMG]
    Now the questions.
    1) Is it normal for there to be visible changes in brightness mostly influenced by the position you view the set? For example standing there may be faint lines (about 3 or 4) at the bottom. When sitting, they appear in the middle. When sitting on the floor they appear at the top. When panning up and down there is a constant array of brighter horizontal lines somewhat similar to one of those animation pictures that change when you tilt them up or down. It looks almost like the texture in the screen. The changes and number of lines are not perfectly seperated and non uniform when comparing a top view to a lower view. Is that normal? I'ts been cleaned before.
    2) Why is it when there is very dramatic black on white images on the right or left side it causes shadows or "halos" ? I can almost intirely eliminate this rare problem by setting the contrast to zero. I would even notice it unless I was watching for it.
    Can it be improved so that I could turn up the contrast?
    All of the guns seem ok as there is an even brightness with a white screen (except for issue in question # 1).
    Is that just normal also?
    3) After my user convergance setup it looks great except a faint transparent outline to the right of everything.
    Could that be fixed in the service menu or is that a focus issue?
    My final note: I have the service manual coming in the mail soon. I also have a screen cover orderd and a skilled pro to fix it thanks to the service agreement I bought.
    I have a website that I update it pretty often. [​IMG]
    Don't everybody rush to answer at once now. We want to save bandwidth for others.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

1. There are air pockets between the screen layers. If the screen is dismantled it is easy for this to happen when it is reassembled.
    2. There are shiny objects or surfaces inside the TV cabinet that are producing unwanted reflections of light. (Some RPTV owners line the inside with black velvet or Duvetyne).
    If you are sitting or standing close to (less than about ten feet) an RPTV, it is normal for the portion of the screen at eye level to be brighter, but brightness should change smoothly with no streaks or thin shadows both above and below eye level.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. SteveMo

Wow thats great advice. Much better than what the tech said when he told me "thats just shadows". Mabie I could convince him to do these tweaks. Thank you. Is that site you linked yours? Can I link it?
    [​IMG]

4. SteveMo

Well the problem seems to be that the mirror reflects light in speratic directions no mater how much darker the interior of the RPTV is so my question is now this.
    I will not say how I know this but if the guns are darker the poblem is fixed.
    How would I achieve the best picture from darkining the guns.
    Would it be to physicly place a tinted glass over the lenses or to ask my technition to lower the setting on the guns in the service menu to dim them?
    This actually will not effect the overall brightness. It just effects the contrast so it seems. I live in a basement so room reflections or brigthness is not an issue. I already have the contrast set to zero.
    Added Note: The darkness needs to be about the same as 1/2 TBSP or 75 ml of Diet Coke mixed with 8 ounces of water. Not much difference.
    So now that I know I can fix it how should I do it? [​IMG]
    Heres my pics of the problem. It may load slow I'm not sure.
    http://www.geocities.com/aauthor29/Image_light_pics.htm
    Someone said to try the subcontrast in the service menu so I'll check that out. As for the problem I hear it's normal anyway.

5. SteveMo

Well I fixed isssue # 3 with the faint outline I think unless I just made things worse and don't see it anymore.
    I fixed the link it is now here at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.geocities.com/aauthor29/reviews.htm
    I also improved issue # 1 by adding more tape to the edges. If I tape the whole thing, it may even disappear entirely and return to how it was before the screen was dismantled for cleaning.
    So now all I need to know is how to reduce the light. It appears to be a reflection in the mirror caused by the curved lens where light escapes in other directions besides forwards. Could I add caps mabie? Somebody told me to add a lens hood. Whats that? They also mentioned that light may being reflected back into the lens or mabie bouncing back off of it causing the reflection. Does that sound right?
    Any suggestions?