What exactly makes those projector bulbs worth $500

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jackson L, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jackson L

Jackson L Stunt Coordinator

I have always wondered why bulbs for projectors are so darn expensive and I have never recieved a straight answer. Are they made of some rare expensive material or are they just marking up the prices like they do with ink for printers?

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I have also wondered.. i can buy a standard 200 watt GE bulb for $2.. what makes projector bulbs so special?

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well, i'm still a little shady myself, but from what I understand the bulbs used in projectors are extremely bright for their listed wattages.

The bulb in my InFocus X-1 is rated at 150 watts I think, but must burn extremely bright, bright enough to throw the image from 25' away (max) and last 4000 hours.

So, for a bulb that size to burn that long at that brightness level for so long, it's easy to see why these cost alot more than your average GE table lamp bulb. Plus you have to factor in the extreme temperatures these bulbs have to endure.

That's just to put it in the proper perspective for you.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A couple of things here.

1. The

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

That's pretty much it ... economies of scale.

For instance, there really isn't that much mark up on the dealer end for this ... an example being a BenQ 8700 bulb. Dealer cost is $490 cdn and the Retail is $599 cdn.

Regards

6. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Stunt Coordinator

Check out the price for a Sony Qualia bulb -- if you can afford $25000 for the PJ, what is another $4000 for the bulb?!?

7. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

I guess not a lot of people buy that Sony Uhh?

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

What happens when a new projector is just a little more expensive than the bulb itself??

For instance, Staples in Canada has the PB6100 for $750 after rebate, and a new bulb runs around $600!

I almost want to buy another one!

Brent

9. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

10. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It could be the razorblade principle. ... or the Inkjet Printer principle.

Regards

11. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

On the other hand, it's also a very good principle for upgraditus... if it's cheaper to just replace the projector... who knows what's newer and better in the 1-3 years of lamp service?

Wasteful, I know, but an interesting idea... I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it when my lamp is ready to go.

Leo

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Getting the color right on the bulb is first off very important, and they ARE very very bright. Do you know how much bulbs cost in film projectors? Thousands. Sometimes a lot more than that.

As noted, the Qualia uses an expensive bulb that is $3K for the replacement. You'd be kidding yourself if you thought a $2 bulb could reproduce the same spectral content and brightness as a proper projection bulb.

13. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, Chris, it's an interesting little thing...

A 1500w Sylvania XBO xenon lamp used in, among other things, Christie lamp houses, sells over the net for $650-$900. But these are very different animals than go in projectors, because they have no optics whatsoever.

The 1900w xenon lamps used in the Christie Roadie S-12 projectors, however, go for about $4000. They do have optics in the lamp-house, and a rather higher order of magnitude of... precision.

Now, it'd be interesting to know what the 15kw xenon lamps used in Imax theaters cost..!

One thing that caugth my eye recently was that my first post was... truncated. It should have read something along these lines:

It should have been:

1. The lamps are, in essence, highly refined mercury lamps. They use a curious cocktail of mercury, thalium sulfide, elemental iodine, radioactive krypton gas, and a few other things. The contents are blended to make a relatively even color, brightness, et cetera.

Leo Kerr