What's new

What exactly is my 6Ch input? (1 Viewer)

RodNoble

Agent
I have an HK receiver and it has this 6ch in and i dont know what it is used for? Do some dvd players have this oposed to optical cable or something?
Please fill me in

Vin

Supporting Actor
The 6 channel input would be used for a DVD-audio or SACD player.....it could also be used for a DVD player with built in DD and DTS decoders.

Vin

Mark All

Second Unit
Rod,
If you're not thinking of getting into DVD-Audio or Super Audio CDs, the six-channel inputs (two front, two rear, center, and subwoofer) are not something you'll need to be concerned about most likely. For DVD-A and SACD, the inputs are there as a form of copy protection. The manufacturers and recording lables wanted to avoid putting high-resolution audio in a format that can be output in a non-secure digital format. Like the guys said above, for DVD players, the inputs serve as a way to use a Dolby Digital decoder in the DVD player rather than the decoder in the receiver. It's only important in this case if the DVD decoder is higher quality than the decoder in the receiver. Not all DVD players have an internal decoder and the ones that do have the decoders usually have ones that are only equal to the ones in receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks