what exactly is meant by "aspect ratio control"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisR, Mar 20, 2002.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

I am planning on buying a widescreen hdtv next year. I'm going to buy a new dvd player in the coming months.

The two players I'm looking at have no aspect ratio control. Is that bad and why? Thanks.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It's bad only if you have a TV that is stuck in 16:9 mode. Aspect ratio control (4:3 side squeeze) in the DVD player is a concession to this irritating TV problem often found during HDTV or 480p input.
    In order to be in compliance with the DVD spec. all players must do reformatting of anamorphic DVD pictures to be letterboxed on 4:3 TV sets.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Even if your 16x9 TV does not "lock in full" mode when being sent a 480p signal, aspect ratio control can be beneficial.

(1) This feature usually also includes a scaling/zoom mode that will provide improved picture quality over the zoom mode on the TV when watching non-anamorphic widescreen material.

(2) Supplemental material on most discs will alternate between full frame, anamorphic widescreen and non-anamorphic widescreen formats. Without automatic aspect ratio control, you will need to constantly change the viewing mode on your TV to properly watch the material. With aspect ratio control, the player automatically will switch viewing modes.

Item #1 is only important if you have a substantial collection of older DVD titles, since the vast majority of new releases are anamorphic. Item #2 is a wonderful convenience for almost any DVD title.

4. Han

Han Second Unit