What exactly is "Half-Life: Source" and "Counter-Strike: Source"?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott_lb, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I've read reports that state that the Half-Life 2 package will include Half-Life: Source and Counterstrike: Source. I've also read reports that stated that the original Half-Life game and Counterstrike will be made available with the new Half-Life 2 engine. Is that what the "source" title is indicative of? If that is indeed the case, then rumor has it that Half-Life 2 will also include "revamped" versions of the original game plus Counterstrike - two games I have yet to play (and that's a very good thing)!

2. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Source is the name of the engine that powers Half-Life (and Counterstrike)2. I haven't looked at the detail you're mentioning, but it sounds like it's referring to some tools that will be of use for Mod makers.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Source is anything that makes a part of the game. Can be the code to run it, the sound files for actions in game, the textures on the wall, the layout of the levels, and so on.

Likely for HL2 and CS2 they mean the sounds/textures/maps will be available for modders to life and use in their own creations. For HL and CS (originals), Valve might give us the whole thing (code and all) so that it can be ported to other systems, updated, rewritten, whatever. They have already made their money off of that product, it's obsolete when HL2 hits shelves.

Likely they want to get HL2 modding material out there ASAP to hopefully inspire the next CS type mod. That is to say, the truly massive mod that helps your game sell 10x mor copies than it ever would have sold on it's own.

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I hadn't heard of HL: Source but I thought CS: Source was just regular old CS ported to the new HL2 engine.

5. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Auditioning

Half Life 2 will contain Counter-Strike:Source. It's an updated version of the original version of CS. Re-Done maps, textures, character models, all running on Valve's new Source engine.

The collectors edition of HL2 will contain Half-Life:Source as well as Counter-Strike:Source and some extra goodies. Half-Life:Source was a project at valve to help show modders it was easy to port their mods into the Source engine without much fuss. It has many of the modifications as CS:Source.

CS:Source is in beta right now and HL2 is due out early next month!

Hope that ties it up and helps you out!

-mike

6. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Yes, that does help - thanks!

7. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

While technically right, "Source" is the name of the Half-Life 2 engine. Counter-Strike: Source is a port of the original Counter-Strike to the Source engine. Half-Life: Source is a part of the original Half-Life game to the Source engine. See http://www.halflife2.net/ for more info.

8. DaveB

DaveB Stunt Coordinator

That's right, in this particular case, "Source" doesn't refer generically to the code, but specifically to the Valve developed "Source Engine" that Half-Life 2 and other games are built on.

The new versions of Half-Life and Counter-Strike will supposedly take advantage of new physics and graphic effects available in the Source engine.

Just to confirm what Rob Speicher had written.

David

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Will there be any other way of getting HL:Source than buying the CE? I only ask because I've got the standard version on preorder, and I don't really want to cancel/reorder and drop 20 more bucks.

10. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Auditioning

You'll be able to purchase the CE via steam(valve's online distro system).. there has also been talk about the separate versions of half-life:source and various other conversions via steam as well.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Ah, my bad. Didn't realize "Source" was the name of Valve's engine (or whatever). Jeez, that makes for a confusing name...

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Glad to see the forum's back.

I broke down today and bought Condition Zero over Steam so I could play the CS:Source Beta...and let me say this, it was completely worth it! [​IMG]

$30 bucks for a game that I'll never play to get a beta of a game that only has one map, and I'm absolutely loving it. I hope I'm still unemployed when HL2 comes out [​IMG]

13. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I've been playing CS:S too. The sounds and graphics are great, but it's still the same morons and boring, unchanging gameplay that made me quit CS in the first place. Not to mention you can only play Dust, the most overplayed map in the history of gaming.

Once the love affair with the graphics gets old, I can't see it lasting without some gameplay overhauls. But it does get me excited to see what HL2 and new mods can do with the tools.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Wow, I have the exact opposite feeling as you. I've been playing CS pretty solid over the last 4.5 years, and it's never gotten boring for me. Dust may be over-played, but it's one of the most well balanced maps ever created.