What exactly is Costco's return policy for tv's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Is there some sort of time limit? Does there have to be something wrong with the tv? Would I be able to take it back if I simply did not like it for some reason even though it worked perfectly? Could I get refund or exchange?

2. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can return a product for any reason. As far as a tv goes, I don't see why they would hassle you with it. I don't usually return anything unless its damage or not the right color or whatever. Costco (Price Club) is usually pretty good at returns. As for the time, I would imagine within 30 days.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Any time you're not happy with your purchase for any reason, you can return it for a refund. No exchanges. If you don't have your receipt, you get the lowest price the items has sold at; otherwise you get full purchase price back.

The only exception is computer equipment. People were misusing the liberal return policy and bringing back computers for full refunds, just so they could upgrade. So now computer equipment is returnable for only six months.

Jan

4. JasonBisk

JasonBisk Auditioning

So what you're saying is that, say in 2 years I want to return the TV, I can? Would I need to original packaging? Do you think that there is any sort of time limit to return something?

5. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

On their signage is states return within 30 days is "helpful" not, I repeat, not "required".

Jan is 100% correct in outlining their policy.

6. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Please don't abuse their return policy. If you are going to return something after 2 years of use because you don't like it or whatever, then its wrong.

Maybe Costco will accept it, but we all pay the price.

I didn't return my TV after the Super Bowl [​IMG]

7. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

I am not suggesting abusing their return policy. It is much more difficult returning a 200+ lb. Television than a 5 lb. notebook computer. My reasoning is that most Extended Warranties only go to the 3rd year.

I believe paying over $1500 for a television set that it should last me a minimum of 7 years without a breakdown. Due to their policy Costco will always get my business for electronics purchases if they have them available. Concurrently if the set I purchase is unable to provide content due to government mandates (HDCP and such) I do not want to be stranded with an piece of equipment that is unable to function to it's specification. Costco makes this a reality.

Also Costco loses not a dime if you return a product. I have spoken with someone that if familiar with their processes. They require their vendors to accept returns for full credit in the purchasing contracts. Due to the large volume of material they purchase they have the muscle to stipulate this.

8. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i purchased a 27" tv for my oldest son for his 18th birthday from Costco. it died and i returned it for a full refund without receipt over one year later, after his 19th birthday. i returned it and all it's accesories in orignal packaging and was given a cash refund on the spot.

9. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

10. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the info. My plan is not to abuse the policy, I simply would like more peace of mind then buying from BB, etc. Costco happens to have a tv I like, so I would be crazy to get it somewhere else considering there awesome policy. Thanks again!

11. Anthony_Fros

Anthony_Fros Agent

I have a friend that works for the company, and he says that as long as you have a receipt for the product that you're returning, no matter how old it is, you'll get your money back. I returned a DVD player that I wasn't very happy with that I had for at least 6 months to Costco, with a receipt, and got a full refund no questions asked. That's the best thing about buying a TV from them: you don't need to buy the extended warranty because your purchase is always covered.
    I got my Panasonic HDTV from there, and it was at least $100 less than CC and BB had it for, I didn't need the extended warranty, AND it came with the glare shield. Something to seriously think about when making a large TV purchase.

12. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

On the money Anthony.

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I wholeheartedly endorse Costco for any major appliance purchase, just be sure to keep the receipt. They will take anything back for any reason, but to get the exact amount of money back, keep the receipt!

They don't bother with exchanges, they always give you cash back. So if you return an HDTV, be prepared to walk out of there with $1500 or so greenbacks in your wallet. You can buy a new TV there, put it in your bank account, or whatever.

I ahve never abused their extremely friendly return policy and I hope you will refrain from doing so, but I have returned broken appliances or such within the first year and it is always taken back. Costco is very, very good about this stuff.

And the hot dogs are only $1.50 [​IMG]

14. Daniel Metcalf

Daniel Metcalf Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate everyone's mature attidude towards Costco's policy. I drive forklift for Costco & you wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stuff we take back, bike's with flat tires, lawnmowers at the end of summer, snowthrowers at the end of winter, it's sickening! I was planning on buying an HDTV from our store, but I liked the Sony 46WT500 better than anything we had & I have a pretty good relationship with my local b&m dealer. So anyways, thanks for your regard for Costco's policy!

15. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

Dude the Dog+Soda for 1.5 is BOMB!!!

16. Joseph G Blea

Joseph G Blea Auditioning

I used to buy the dog and soda, till my friend that works at Costco started saying to me...."You actually buy the deathdogs?"

17. BrianDB

BrianDB Agent

I'm not sure about your's, the costco I frequent usually has someone taking temps on a regular basis. Quite often I will see them take temps twice while I'm waiting for Pizza. Side note $9.99 for a x-large combo best around IMO.