What exactly is Calibrating to reference mean?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Sch., Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Nov 30, 2001
    I have been reading about getting a spl meter and the avia disc but dont understand the whole concept. It says that reference level will be at -75db when calibrated which equals 105db. Whats the point of that? Isnt 105db so loud that it would blow your speakers. I mean without my setting my system up using the avia disc i have found -75db to be loud as S**t. Can anyone explain the whole concept in newbie terms. Thanx.

I have

Kenwood vr-507

JBL N26 fronts

N24 backs

Sawm40 sub

Toshiba sd1700

(Soon to have Grado sr-60's)
  2. Doug Fraser

Doug Fraser Extra

Jan 11, 2002

Steve_Ma Second Unit

May 7, 2001
    Here's another link. Quick and dirty explanation and should be just what you want. It also discusses AVIA and VE. My long-winded and non-scientific explanation is below if your interested, but Mr. Maskeeper did a better job than myself.
    Calibrating to "reference" really involves two things:
    1. Establishing a constant SPL at a given volume between all your speakers (for a more accurate reproduction of the material). and
    2. Resetting your main volume to "reference." On most AV Receivers, this is 00. This means that when listening to movies at that volume, you "should" be hearing what was intended to the best of your system's/room's capabilities. It's also a great point of "reference" when speaking with other enthusiasts. There is some commonality with regard to volume/SPLs.
    NOTE: I never listen to anything at "reference." It's too loud, my room is too small, and my speakers start to distort, so it's not as enjoyable. I usually listen at -10 to -20 on my volume dial (10 to 20 db below reference).