What exactly is a "transport"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Antonio

Antonio Extra

I have comes across this term while reading through posts in on the forum. Can anyone define it?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The term "Transport" means the box/device that mechanically holds the CD/DVD.

High-end music systems often have a very strong, rigid, heavy "transport" for a CD player. A optical connection then takes the raw bits to a external box called a "pre-processor" that converts it to analog audio. Then this signal is usually passed to an external amplifier, then to the speakers.

3. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Hmmm. I think I've been misunderstanding, then. Just to be sure, tell me if I'm understanding you right: the transport is not just the moving parts of the CD player (or DVD player or whatever), but the entire unit itself?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The transport is the physical mechanism that takes the disc and sucks it into the machine, and then holds it in place while it plays

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Okay, that's what I thought. I think. [​IMG]

6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    The term "transport" is used with both meanings:

+ it's used to designate the part of the cd/dvd player that spins the disc

+ and it's used to mean the player itself when its analog audio circuits aren't used. When the digital audio is decoded externally, people often say the player is being used as a transport.

The latter actually isn't quite right, of course. A lot of digital processing goes on in a player before it can provide the serial digital audio signal in a format that external decoders can handle.