What's new

What exactly does WEGA mean?? (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a 24 inch sony wega today. My cousin has a 36 inch that he bought a few years ago, which has an amazing picture, even with DirecTV. Should this TV have the same picture quality as the 36 inch? They are both wega's.

What exactly does the WEGA classification mean? thanks

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
WEGA means flat screen only. The first ones were feature laden high end models. They were so popular that Marketing decided all their sets would be WEGA flat screens regardless of features. (even a no-frills 13" set) Unfortunately your 24" set isn't even close to the quality or features of your friend's TV.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
so, you are saying that a 300 dollar 24 inch won't have the same picture as a 36 inch that was bought about 4 years ago for what I would guess was a thousand dollars?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
As far as my 90's memory serves.. WEGA (pronounced "Vay-guh") uses a German technology that is also found in car windshields which helps maintain the flat shape even at the intense compression levels within the tube. (please correct me if I; wrong here) Just marketing stuffs.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
so, I guess my question is......Is it worth it to spend over 300 bucks on a 24 inch sony wega, when you can find a similar size set from another maker for 200?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Every set I currently own is a Sony , but I wouldn't touch the 24 ; 27 or 32 yes. (34 or 36 , no -- too touchy on purity and convergence - and weight) It's also a small screen size that takes up as much shelf space as a 27. Personally , I'd look at 27's Since there is more competition in that size , pricing should be more competetive. (I think your friend's set cost a bit more than $1000 but you never know what sort of deals he found at the time.)

Will Bla**

Auditioning
I was at Circuit City the other day. I heard the salesman telling another customer that they don't carry the Sony 40 inch CRT. It's just too heavy and no one will buy it.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
The last incarnation of the 4:3 Sony 40" tube was the KV-40XBR800. It weighs in at 304 lbs. It has picture problems, especially in the corners, including the development of green blobs.

It's nice to know that the Circuit City salespeople in San Diego are just as incompetent as the ones on the East Coast. The #1 reason CC doesn’t carry a Sony 40” tube is that Sony doesn’t make one anymore. And the KV-36HS420, which CC does sell weighs in at 230lbs. Now, yes 304 is more than 230. But if I’d buy a 230 lb TV, I’d buy a 304 lb TV.

And while I’m at it, I’m going to take another shot at CC. I got an email disguised as a delivery confirmation notice, but looked like spam using CC’s “good name” to get me to fill out a survey with the promise of a $250 gift card. I’m not a fan of spam, so I called CC to report this transgression. The guy on the phone finished the explanation of the email for me. So I figured that they were on top of tracking down, and ending this junk email. But, it turns out that CC sponsors this spammer! He told me it was a lucky winner sweepstakes, and if I followed the link and filled out all the info, I might in fact win that gift card. They really make it very hard for me to consider bringing them any of my business whatsoever.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
"Vay-guh" (or VEGA) is correct. Actually, it's not even supposed to be a 'W', but two intertwined Vs. Sony does spell it "WEGA" though.

No German technology! The only reason tubes were curved before has to do with the characteristics of an electron beam. On a flat screen, you have a very sharp angle where the beam hits the extreme ends of the tube, giving you a wide and oval beam spot. If you curve the tube, you lessen that angle. This is why many "flat screen" tubes are actually curved on the inside, and also explains why true flat tubes like the Wega have variable resolution - the spacing of the slots in the aperature grille are bigger at the ends then in the middle of the tube.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Of course there is also the thing about how the Japanese pronounce the words. They often interchange V's with W's in the pronounciation.

Like "Wolksvaggon" ....

Regards

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I could have sworn I read in Crutchfield when WEGAs first came out the screen material was based on German technology. And it is supposed to be a W and not two V's because it's German:

VolksWagen is pronounced "Volks-Vaggon" in German.

This new tech was probably all just BS, but this is how I remember it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Scott, until just recently (that is, this past year), Sony manufactured its own CRTs. Not only that, Sony made the glass for its CRTs itself. There's nothing German about the trade name "WEGA." And there's certainly no German influence in Sony's technology. JB

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
From what I was told by a Sony rep, the reason why they pronouce it Vega and spell it Wega (and used the two overlapping V's to try to make this obvious) was because it was not possible to trademark Vega, but Wega was fine.

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Reminds me of when Nissan was getting ready to introduce cars into the US market back in the 60's. There was a perception that "Made in Japan" meant low quality, (My how times have changed) since the beetle was far and away the #1 import in the US they called Volkswagen to ask them what name they should in the US market. VW asked the Nissan exec how soon they needed it, Nissan said "tomorrow"! VW said Dat Soon?

:D

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Every time I here someone pronouns it as Wega I just cringe! Not only is it wrong it sounds stupid. Good going Sony!

Wes

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm a little bit confused here. I've always pronounced it "Wega" as well, since the "W" has always been clear. My confusion is why people feel the need to change the pronunciation of the "W" here in the States. For instance, the actress Rachel Weisz, which CLEARLY is *NOT* German, has her last name pronounced as "Vise." Why? It's not as if she were German, if she were, then I would certainly understand the need to pronounce it that way.

The same goes for Sony Wega. Since Sony is not a German company, I see absolutely no reason why one should pronounce it with a "V" instead of a "W" as it is clearly written.

Why? What makes it so wrong? If a word or a last name is written with a "W" why must we ponounce them with a "V?" Please explain!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson

Ask Sony, they are the ones that came up with the VVEGA/WEGA thing to begin with!

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks