What's new

What exactly does 'Processor Direct' on Yamahas do? (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
What exactly does 'Processor Direct' on Yamahas do? Is it the same as analog direct?....If so then why do I still get subwoofer output in this mode on my RX-V3300.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I think it's a partial step toward analog direct, by removing (bypassing) the tone and bass-boost controls from the signal circuit.

I emailed Yamaha about this and a tech responded this IS an analog direct path. Yet, Processor Direct still applies bass management for a sub signal, and, as such, means that some digital processing is still being done at this end.

Some audiophiles make a big deal outa analog direct for their music, hoping to achieve the least altered source signal. So when my Yamaha was newer, I experimented w/ Processor Direct as well as sending my CD player's signal via twin analog interconnects to the receiver's L and R Mains for the 6CHL input array. I inserted Y-splitters so I cud toggle betw this and the regular CD inputs. In the end, I did not prefer Processor Direct and today just dont use it. And I never use the tone and bass-boost knobs anyway.

I have since added a set of 6 cables (Belden 1694a from Kurt in Seattle)from my DVD-Audio capable DVDp to the Yamaha 6CHL Inputs, but haven't purchased any DVD-A CDs yet, so I am not certain where the bass end will go until I can listen...I suspect 6CHL may still give me adequate sub pass and I wont be inclined to buy the Outlaw ICBM just for occasional DVD-A.

John, it seems you've been "away" for a year, but never took that move to Florida. I enjoy yer posts...

bill

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Do you mean James or are you thinking about someone else? :)

If your talking to me then yes I have decided to stay here in WA because I love it too much..I am never moving. I toyed with it for a long time but decided that happiness cannot be gotten by moving across the country. :)
Thanks, I am glad you like my posts.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
James, sorry for the name flub:frowning:

So basically if you dont use something like an ICBM then what default frequency will be sent to the 5 speakers and subwoofer?

While testing out the DVD-A disk, also experiment switching your mains and surrounds from SMALL to LARGE to hear what you get...that is, what provides acceptable SUB output without having to use the ICBM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks