What ever happened to sylvester stallones career?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 28, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

This guy just seemed to fall off the planet, and if he does make a movie, it's utter crap.

Is he still working on a new Rocky?

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Last time I heard, he was writing a new Rambo where Rambo fights the Afgans for America or some such thing.EDIT: Rambo: Night of the Taliban, I think he was calling it.

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Stallone has gotten lazy over the years. He did his best work when he was a starving artist--in Rocky. Since then, he has done very little other than movies that have a mainstream formula.

His part as Freddy in CopLand was the only role worth mentioning as being any good. I like the Rocky movies, but making another one is not the way to go.

I understand he has a very big following outside the USA where his films always have a good box office cume (seriously).

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

He sank it by taking the same crappy roles over and over. Rocky just about did him in. He was great in Cop Land though. He needs more films like that.

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

He did it to himself, starting with delivering a 4 hour script for "Driven"...someone allowed him to ask for it, so who's the blame here ?

He should do a Bruce Willis and jumpstart his career with alot more choicier roles like "Copland". But tempted by such self-indulgent acts like he was in driven, why should he ?

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Or even the original Rocky. He ws terrific in that. He just wore it out with the last 3 Rockys. Although I did enjoy some parts of Rocky III.

8. Polo Chavez

Polo Chavez Auditioning

...what about Frank Stallone? Great singing talent, deserves to a Gong Show appearance...remember, they both come from a woman that can tell your future by looking at people's butt-cheeks...and I think that she has looked at both her son's and gave them suppositories...[​IMG]

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Three things went wrong, in my opinion: 1) He's only got a moderate amount of talent, and 2) He's getting old, so his one-time status as a sex symbol for the women and a stud-idol for the men has pretty much disappeared, and 3) He refuses to take risks in any of his movies -- they're all so carefully crafted, not an artistic vision, but "What will the audience LIKE? Will this film MAKE A LOT OF MONEY?" He hasn't made an honest film since the first "Rocky."

If you make films in only one genre (action, in his case), people will get sick of you after 25 years.

10. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

what about first blood? Did anyone like that one? I thought he did a great job.

11. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    i think I just flushed it about two secs ago.
    Seriously tho, what about that "Eye See You" film..Wouldn't surprise me if he right behind Jean Claude Van Dame and Dolph Lundren in the 99 cent straight to video rentals

12. Sam Graves

Sam Graves Stunt Coordinator

His country-western epic Rhinestone was on this morning.

13. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Hey, NOW!
    Dont you mess with Dolph!!
    He´s a swede, and a viking...[​IMG]

14. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Cliffhanger from 1993 was his last big hit both in the US and abroad if I recall correctly. That wasn't too shabby either since Jurassic Park ruled that summer and crushed Arnold's highly anticipated Last Action Hero, but since then its been downhill for Stallone it seems.

15. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    You guys are forgetting Sly's outstanding efforts in OSCAR and STOP! OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT, landmark films that helped make the early 90's the golden age of comedy. [​IMG]
    (Actually, I don't mind OSCAR too much. :b )

16. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Personally, I can't wait for Cobra 2.
    Speaking of which, whatever happened to Brigitte Nielsen? [​IMG]

17. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I think his carrer died right about the time that he blaimed the NRA for the gun problem in the country.

Yes, the actor that glorified guns with movies like Rambo, Cobra, Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, and made himself look like a fool, and now people think of him as a walking joke. IMHO

18. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

He's 55 now. He better take a cut in pay and hope they put him in summer would-be blockbusters as a supporting actor.