1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What ever happened to KILL BILL deluxe set?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by NolanJ, Nov 26, 2006.

1. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

Wasn't it years ago where Tarantino said he planned on rereleasing Kill Bill as one movie with an uncut DVD to follow?

2. Josh.C

Josh.C Second Unit

I have asked that question on this forum several times, and have yet to get an answer.

JC

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Put simply, QT talks a lot of sh**.

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

The Whole Bloody Affair has been cut together and shown at a couple festivals (and even on TV once or twice, I believe) but I don't think there's gonna be a DVD release unless it's to promote whatever Tarantino's next film is.

5. mike kaminski

mike kaminski Second Unit

mike kaminski
    I remember the studio quite proudly boasted of their double dipping plan: single disk releases of the individual films, followed by double-disk special editions of the individual films, and finally the single-film "whole blood affair" cut. This was i guess 2003. Obviously, these plans fell apart. I suspect in a year or two the whole bloody affair version will be released in some kind of elaborate box-set special edition--possibly, as someone else pointed out, when there is another Tarrantino film to promote, though who knows how long that will be. These films are seriously in need of some kind of update, as the barebones single-disk releases are quite crappy by todays standards.

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Maybe he'll do it to promote his joint flick with Robert Rodriguez("Grindhouse") that's coming out in the spring.

7. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

Andrew Wickliffe
    Isn't the combined Kill Bill coming someday from Weinstein Co.? I think it was something they took with them from Miramax..

You know, to Blockbuster.

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"The Whole Bloody Affair has been cut together and shown at a couple festivals"

Just after that,I remember Tarantino saying he wanted to take a year or so break because he was Kill Billed out - and to expect the Kill Bill stuff after that.

Its been a year or so since I read that.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

All I know is I'm glad I bought the original releases when they first came out and have enjoyed watching them several times since.

However, too bad the transfers suck.

10. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Matt Czyz
    I was hoping we'd have seen something new by now, too. I'm glad I have my original discs, but as Dave says, they could both use new transfers (Part 1 more than Part 2).

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Given that it took forever to release a proper SE of pulp fiction, I wouldn't be surprised to be waiting another year or so on this one. I remember the promises of things like the Japanese version of vol 1, but I'm glad that I didn't hold off on buying the single disc releases.

12. JoshRas

JoshRas Stunt Coordinator

Is the "whole bloody affair" edited in a linear fashion? If not, wouldnt they have to put them on different dvd's anyway? Same as it is now. A new special edition would be nice though

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

A lot of Miramax/Dimension stuff got lost in the shuffle when the Weinsteins left Disney. Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to have a MIMIC SE out last year (with a giant roach bust included-- he brought a prototype to a HELLBOY signing in West LA!)

14. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

Any news on this one?

15. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Adam Moreau

This is so true. The guy talks big (but that's part of the reason his movies kick ass).

16. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

It is slightly re-edited, from what I understand, but it's not a major change. It's not as if scenes from part 2 are now integrated into the story that made up part 1 (unless I'm wrong; I haven't heard much on the subject).

I believe the biggest changes is that he used the unrated Japanese cut of the first film, rather than the R-rated r1 (dropping all the random black-and-white stuff in the Crazy 88s fight).

17. FlexMentallo

FlexMentallo Extra

Brad Welch

In the Japanese one there's some extra shots as well as the color. There's an extra little bit with the kid that gets smacked at the end of the fight.

I remember reading that the Whole Bloody Affair also removes the zinger about the daughter as this was added as a cliffhanger when they decided to split it in two.

At some point Tarantino talked about there being another animated piece created for the uber-set : somehow I doubt that was made, but who knows.

I love my single DVDs, but as people have said the transfer on Pt1 isn't perfect. I'm hoping it gets released in Hi-Def on Bluray.

18. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

In the Japanese version, we actually see Beatrix cut off Sofie Fatale's other arm. In the US cut, it is only implied.

19. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

Did Japan have more than one edition of KB Pt1? eg a rated and an unrated edition?

I'd like to see the House of Blue Leaves in color and am happy to buy from there but would like to ensure that if I import this, I'll have what I'm looking for...

20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

That's one of the reasons I got the Japanese version -- I liked her character and wanted to see more of her, even if it was just a brief moment. I was surprised to find that the extra arm taking really made the Bride seem cruel. I prefer the American version of the scene.

Seamless branching would work well for a film like this.