What ever happened to dual layer DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris S, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I remember hearing about dual layer DVD-R a long while back so I've sat around waiting for the media to finally be released but I have yet to see any sites selling it. Was it just vaporware?

Chris S.

2. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The prices vary widely depending on brand. This search at CompUSA is typical Anywhere from about $4.00 a disc to $12.50 each.

I bought a few discs for around $5.00 each on sale just after Christmas - a far cry from the 100 disc DVD-R off-brand spindle I bought for $60.00 the same day. The drives are getting downright cheap. I have a Sony external DL DVD burner that cost less than my old no name external single-layer drive. I'm seriously thinking of putting that $60.00 internal DL burner that CompUSA is advertising in my HP desktop in place of its existing DVD playback drive and hooking up the Sony to my desktop instead. (I can always find a home for the single layer external.)

Regards,

Joe

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Guess I must not have been looking in the right place.

How are the compatibility issues with current DVD players? I imagine they vary by make and model but has it gotten to the point where the majority of the players will recognize the discs?

5. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

Looking at the CompUSA page all of those discs appear to be DL DVD+R but I could not find any DL DVD-R. Or is their no difference?

6. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I must confess I have a hard time keeping the whole -R, +R thing straight. Does one support higher burning speeds while the other is more compatible with stand-alone DVD players? I can't recall. And I completely missed the "-" in your original post.

After doing a little more looking around it seems you may be right. There may not be any "-R" DL DVD media, but I have no idea why this might be the case.

Regards,

Joe

7. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Because -R is generally more compatible with many players, and because so far, +R DL isn't nearly as compatible (a great number of players can't play) +R DL slipped in.

There are about 3 different manufacturers right now who have -R DL. However, because of issues with market forces in general, this product has been very slow to reach the market. [​IMG]

9. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I still have a lot of players that cannot play regular +R media. I haven't tried but I doubt it will play +RDL.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You might be surprised Tony.

I have a friend who can play +R DL discs no problem, but can't seem to play Ritek 8x DVD-R discs on his player. Go figure! His player is a Toshiba though - which probably explains a lot. [​IMG]