What Ever Happened To Carver The Carver Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Jan 6, 2001
    The subject of the Carver C-1000A DD/DTS receiver frequently comes up at audioreview.com and how great it is b/c it has 200x5 watts and weighs 38 lbs., whatever [​IMG]....
    Well, the power rating is mighty impressive to say the least! I know Bob Carver has had his success with sunfire, but what happened to the C-1000A? Why is it no longer on store shelves? Why wasn't there successor? Why can't I proofread the topic heading?
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    Carver basically went out of business as a company. They are still around, possibly bought by another company (I don't remember) but not "officially" operating as I understand it. I used to have a Carver sub, sold it to a friend who told me he found this out when the sub's amp smoked. Somehow, he got in touch with what is left of the company, and they repaired it completely. [​IMG]
  3. Horatio Jones

Horatio Jones Stunt Coordinator

Jan 17, 2002
    Carver.corp was re-purchased if you will by Bob, following its fall from grace. Carver is in financial woes, however Bob is at the helm and trying to get them back to greatness.
    As for the C1000 it is a phenomenal receiver and yes it is 200W RMS X 5. Tests have shown it to measure out at over 200W x 3 at clipping. IT uses a power steering technicque to ensure that at any given time 3 of the channels will be receiving 200W.
    I dont know why more places didnt carry it, my guess is that given its retail cost of 2100 and the fact that most retailers have agreements with Sony, DEnon, and Onkyo; adding another unit especially one not as familiar in name to the mass market would not have been profitable.