What's new

What events took place in 1964??? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
For English class I need to write 2 papers (each 4-5 pages each) about 2 events that took place in 1964. Any good ideas for this because I am really aching for ideas?? I thought about the Beatles Invasion and John Kemeny inventing BASIC but I can't find too many resources on the net about these. Any help??? Thanks.

Butch C

Second Unit
If you wanna go really abstract with this the traditional definition of "the 60's" started around that year

i.e. "the 50's" lasted till '64 and "the 60's" creeped into 1970.

another example...nothing that happened in 1962 is really considered to have any relation to when someone talks about "the turbulant 60's!"

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
If you head to the library, they probably have a copy of the Americana Almanac. It is published 1 volume per year. Pick up 1964 and browse until you find something interesting.

A great series !

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The Beatles invasion would certainly be fun, but that was the year that "A Hard Days Night" came out too. Heck, do it on movies and head over to the IMDB and look up '64.

Glenn

Michael English

Auditioning
Let's see...

The Beatles invaded America.

Lyndon Johnson was elected president over Barry Goldwater.

Topics you might wish to research (but not discuss on this forum due to the rules): the Vietnam war, and Civil Rights legislation.

Another interesting area might be the sociological reasons that the Beatles were so incredibly popular. (Hint...some say that the nation was emerging from a state of mourning.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The World's Fair in NYC comes right to mind. :D
Lots of interesting things came out of that--including Disney's "Its A Small World" ride and the Hall of Presidents. ;)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I remember watching a press briefing by Presidnet Lyndon Johnson about an attack on two American ships, the Maddox and Turner Joy, in the Tonkin Gulf off Vietnam. At the time we had a few advisors there and the only thing that made anyone know about Vietnam was the coup in 1963 of Diem and the fact that the French has pulled out in 1954.
Johnson went to Congress got the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution passed allowing Johnson to, "take all necessary measures," to halt North Vietnamese aggression.
In February 1965 US fighter bombers were sent into North Vietnam to begin a bombing campaign.
Oh, I almost forgot, in February 1964, Goldfinger was released. The best of all the Bond flicks.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
The murder of the three civil rights workers in Mississippi happened in June 1964 -- the murders dramatized in the movie Mississippi Burning.
The infamous Warren Commission report on the assassination of JFK was released in 1964 as well (spawning an entire cottage industry of conspiracy theorists).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
All these responses and no one mentioned perhaps the greatest event of 1964.

The Kellogg’s Pop Tart debuted in 1964!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks