What equipment for a small room ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianThatcher, Aug 13, 2001.

1. BrianThatcher

BrianThatcher Auditioning

I'm not certain if the purchase of my first dvd player a couple of years ago was a good or bad thing, but at least it means I don't have to worry about what to spend money on [​IMG]
    While I am very happy with the 36xbr400 TV and Denon 2800 dvd player that I have in my living room, the layout of the place means that it is not worth trying to install a better sound system than the Bose I already have (Townhouse with odd shaped living room).
    However - I do have a small 10'x11' room that just might be able to handle a 42" Plasma.... The first question is could I get decent sound in a room this size and of course the second question is What should I buy?
    Suggestions ?
    Cheers
    Brian

2. Dirk E

Dirk E Auditioning

One year ago I have been in the same situation as you. My livingroom had a very bad layout for home theater and the bass response was very bad. Frontprojection was impossible in that space, too. Thats why my girlfriend and me built a dedicated Home Theater Room in the basement. It is very small but we enjoy a GREAT Cinema Experience down there. The room is about 11` long and only 7-8` wide. That is really small. We had to position 8 THX Ultra speakers (6.1-Setup) in this room. But it was no problem because we have the Jamo System Two Speakers. They aren`t very deep, only 16cm and are all wallmounted. I don`t know what these speakers are named in the U.S. but I read one other post about them on this forum. They don`t seem to be very popular in the U.S. but they sound great!! Always my advice if a little room is the problem: Take a look at the Jamos. I`m sure you will be impressed. If you are interested I email you a photo of my theater that shows the speakers. They look very nice I think. BTW, how can I post a photo in this text? All the others: What do you think about the Jamo THX Two System? Is it unknown over there?
    Dirk

3. BrianThatcher

BrianThatcher Auditioning

Thanks Dirk,
    After I saw your response I went back to another post and saw some pictures of the Jamo system one speakers. From the Jamo web site both types of speaker seem great for a small area. I'll have to find a local dealer and take a look at these puppies.
    Cheers
    Brian