What's new

What episode of MST3K was on Sci-Fi this morning? (Jan 11) (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
In the credits, Best Brains always encouraged us to keep tradign the tapes, so I'd wager it's okay.

Joel C

Screenwriter
The companies who own the MSTed films and the SciFi Channel would probably disagree. Not that I'm outraged or anything. But "Keep circulating the tapes" is not any kind of binding legal statement.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Its not like you are taking away a sale of a commercially released DVD. They are not available. If the copyright holders dont wantt fans trading episodes, then let Best Brains release them commercially. 100% of fans who trade episodes wont trade the ones that can be bought from Rhino Home video.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It really only applied to a lot of the comedy central episodes in which the movie rights holder no longer existed. A lot of these were Joel eps.. they covered this at one of the cons, as well..

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I want season sets of my beloved MST3K soooooooo bad, even more so than my second favorite comedy Seinfeld!
I almost died during both this one and the one from a couple of weeks ago with Joe Don Baker! :laugh:
"Look, it's Christmas on the Borg ship." -Crow
"Look lady, just stop sinning ok!!" -Tom Servo
"It looks like he's beating up the Ghost of Christmas future." -Tom Servo
"hmmmm Wall-mounted keyboards, it must be THE FUTURE!!!" -Tom Servo
One of my all time favorites has got to be The Final Sacrifice though...
"I wonder if they have beer on the sun?" -Crow
"Yep, you just know it's spring when satanists start gettin in the house." -Tom Servo
"Rowsdower!" -The group throughout

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I'm not against the trading of tapes, as that IS what BBI wants us to do :)
I'm just saying that legally they can only give permission for the host sequences. If they had their way we WOULD have season sets, but unfortunately it's just not going to happen

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Mickunas wrote:
I love the part where the dead lady reappears on the bridge.
Riff: "Well, it's nice of them to give that dead girl her job back." :laugh:
As for MST3K: The Movie (featuring "This Island Earth"), BBI was forced by the studio to edit the original film down so much (about 1/3 is missing), that the final result is not only shorter than the original film, it's also about 20 minutes shorter than an episode of the TV-show (sans commercials)! Add to that forced changes to some riffings (ex. Leona Helmsley) plus being required to drop two host segments and film a different final segment, and it's understandable why making this film was such a bad experience for BBI. (... as well as something they spoofed in a Season 7 episode: 704 - The Incredible Melting Man - http://www.mst3kinfo.com/guide/ep704.html )
Although all of this background info plus the existing deleted scenes could make for a great SE DVD one day (Criterion? ;) )

David L. Gold

Auditioning

Actually, around Season Six - you'll notice that little bit in the credits vanished. This was due to the BBI lawyers saying that it wouldn't help the movie deal if they were encouraging video piracy. That, and by telling people to "Keep Circulating The Tapes", BBI could be losing any profits that they could have by home video releases (since the companies that would be releasing them legitemately on home video couldn't do a "cease and desist" to the folks doing the "circulating").

Not that that ever happened, but it was strictly for legal copyright reasons that it stopped. Straight from the mouth of Jim Mallon himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks