What's new

What episode of MST3K was on Sci-Fi this morning? (Jan 11) (2 Viewers)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I only caught the last 45 minutes or so and it was hilarious. The movie was awful. It was a sci-fi film on a spaceship with a bad guy named something like Kalgon ("take me away!") The good guy was this big blond dude running around in a wife-beater undershirt. And the end credits had cheesy 80s music.

Anyone? Any good comprehensive websites on MST3K?

Thanks!
Greg

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yahoo TV has it listed as:

"Space Mutiny", Episode #820.
``Space Mutiny'' (1989) Science fiction. Space hero puts down mutineers on a huge Earth ship.

Cast: Reb Brown, John Phillip Law, James Ryan, Cameron Mitchell, Cissy Cameron.
Director(s): David Winters.
Producer(s): David Winters.

Original Airdate: November 8, 1997.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks Alex, I didn't even think to use TV Guide.

The movie is #23 on IMDB's Worst 100 Movies of All Time. From the little I saw, it's a well-deserved spot.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
"Ohhhh!!!! Who stole my purse!!!!"
Probably my favorite of the Sci-Fi Channel entries, along with Werewolf ("You saying Paul is turning into wharwhelf?") and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank ("'My nuts?'" "Breathing knocks the wind outta this guy.")
Evan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Space Mutiny also uses the special effects footage from Battlestar Galactica, something which the Brains later regretted not making fun of

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

They did not even realize it was from Battlestar Galactica until fans pointed it out to them.

Space Mutiny is on my top 5 MST of all time. Hilarious.

"Did you see my butt?"

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I love the part where the dead lady reappears on the bridge. That is one wonderful movie. Has anyone figured out what the deal with the women who worshipped the static ball was? I mean, did they ever really do anything?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Why did this show go away? When MST3k first lost Joel, I thought it was over. Then the new crew got their groove and it was great. Then the jump to Sci-Fi channel. This was more troubling, because they lost the flexibility in what movies they could do (Catalina Caper, a funny movie, could not be done on their new station). This was a bit darker period, but they got better. Even with the huge cast changes near the end, the movie commentary was still spot on (I lost the love for the non-movie parts...gimme TV's Frank any day). If I catch it, I still find myself laughing out loud at the thing. Dang it.

Too bad they blew it with the movie. The live version was so good, they should have toured or at least left all the jokes in the movie that was done in the live show. While it would not have saved the show, they could have maybe made a small career of doing a few feature releases.

Oh well.

Movie sign!!!!

Phil

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Two more simple questions:

1. Of all the MST3K releases on DVD, only the film (MST3K: The Movie) is OOP, correct? It was one of the barebones Universal/Image releases.

2. The Volume 1 box set that was just released has exclusive titles, i.e. those episodes aren't available separately from the box, correct?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
how did they blow it with the movie? i saw it again the other night on cable, and it still struck me as one of the most consistently funny episodes i've seen. it did bother me that they felt compelled to put in a few swear words just cause they could; it just felt out of place.

the early sci-fi episodes were ok, but the show seemed to lose a bit over the next couple years. i really missed trace beaulieu, especially as the voice of crow. although i got used to the new guy as crow, it's always a treat to hear crow in an older episode. the best thing sci-fi could do would be to get the rights to all of the old comedy central episodes, or for comedy central to bring it back with all the sci-fi episodes as well.

PaulBoud

Agent
It really is a shame that Sci Fi is so limited on the episodes they can show. It's a Saturday morning ritual for my wife and I to watch MST3K, even though we've seen each episode a thousand times. I've tried getting some tapes from Ebay, but many of them have pretty poor recording quality. I just recently picked up the two books that Mike Nelson has out and they are very funny too.:D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Because they have a pretty strict code against offering any films available on DVD, I don't think I'm breaking any rules in suggesting the The Digital Archive Project. You have to be a little proficient with your computer, but they have very well written resources on their file sharing method of choice.
If this is too gray-market, feel free to delete this post.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I don't know if anyone on here saw the live version of this at the MST3K Expo-fest-o-rama, but the movie is basically 1/3 of what they did in the live show. I read that because the house was literally gut laughing throughout the whole thing, they decided to cut some jokes, assuming that people would miss stuff due to laughter. Well, the house I saw it in as a movie was silent during these "pause for laughter" moments and for me it never lived up to the real thing. They should have filled it up and let it rip. Man, I really wish they would have toured with the darn thing when the show was a hit. Having worked and watched theatre for a couple decades, it is still one of the funniest live performances I have ever seen.

(sniff)

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks