What enclosure will you be putting your Tumult in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Lets have details. What size? Ported, PR or sealed? Finally how much power are you going to put to it?

I am leaning towards sealed with a linkwitz transform and 2000 watts. The sealed enclosure will be about 47 liters.

I couldn't find a ported box that really worked well with this woofer. If I made the port large enough to preclude chuffing, the port resonance would be at to low a frequency. I don't really want to use PRs. I have a PR sub now and want to try something new. Also, I don't want to spend $200 on PRs. Anyone have any solution to my ported box dilema? BTW, the ported box I was modeling was 160 L tuned to 20 hertz.

2. If I had one, it would be 45L sealed and LT'ed with a K2 to power.
    If I got one and moved out of the apartment, then I would move it to a 130-150L PR'd app [​IMG]

3. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Im in the process of building my box right now.. It will be 24" cube with dual 18" Stryke Pr's tuned to 18hz, powered with 800 watts of a brand spanking new Crest pro amp.. Can't wait to hear it [​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I've got 3 boxes waiting for Tumults. They're 55L each and will be using LT circuits with K2 powering one and a PLX-3402 on the other two. Too bad I can't keep all 3 of them! [​IMG]

5. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

I am yanking my Tempest in a sealed 121L driven with a AVA250 with a bass boost at 15Hz and replacing it with my Tumult. (when it arrives)

6. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

Sealed, in a 85l enclosure, juiced with 1000 watts is a good place to start for me.

7. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

An LT I/B for my two. Right now powered with 770 watts. Will this be enough power for them. I've read the I/B requires less power. Can anybody confirm?

8. Tom, an IB will require less power to reach x-max because you are lowering the Qts to = the Qtc. so yes[​IMG] you gain most of the efficiency down low where most of the power is needed. 700watts /driver should work out fine for you [​IMG] relative to a 50L box, an IB has about 2x the efficiency at 20hz....so it is like having 1400watts in 50L.

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Jack:

The problem I had with the PR enclosures is that when I modeled two PRs, the modeled cone travel of the PR would exceed the X max ot the PR. I initially modeled them using 50 mm as the xmax of the PR. Then I noticed that it was 50mm peak to peak, or really an xmax of 25 mm( please correct me if I am wrong here). Then I needed to go with four PRs. Doh. Might as well go sealed and put the $400 I would have spent on PRs on some big power and use my LT.

I think I may have stumbled upon a ported box that may work. I will use a big slot port and EQ around the port resonance (glad I got that BFD). Port should be ok up to about 1000 watts. It's worth a try. It's only sawdust.

11. Craig Woodhall

i hope i didn't make a mistake going with the PR's.. It would suck to have the PR's maxing out way too early..

Craig

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm using about 200L and 4 Adire PR15s massed up to about 1500g. According to my sims the PRs should stay withing their travel limits even with 1400watts on the sub.

I'm planning on using a QSC PLX 2402 to power it.

Dan said that if you fold the port you can kill the port resonance at low freqencies.

Seth

13. Craig Woodhall

how bout with dual 18's?

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

As far as PR's, I think two of the Stryke 18" models will be more than adequate in the real world. According to Stryke, they have a travel of 3" peak-to-peak, which is 38mm each way (it's important these are input correctly in the sims), or about 9l of displacement. Now, even with this much Vd, the models (I'm using Unibox for this and referring to the 200L/16Hz/dual-18"PR box mentioned above) do show the PR's exceeding their Xmax, but only below 16Hz and at levels that would exceed 120dB in-room, 1500 watt input. If you're still concerned [​IMG] , I think that this is still better than any port would do. And if you're planning a box smaller than 200L or so, I think PR's are the only option, as porting just gets tougher.
    That's just one very-low-Fb alignment, of course. If you go with 150L/18Hz/dual-18" PR, you've got 115 dB anechoic available from 18Hz on up with 1500 watts without the PR's ever exceeding Xmax...and the driver still has loads of headroom itself.

15. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the technical help Anthony, I'm hoping these things will rock the house down.

16. Craig Woodhall

thanks Jack!