What's new

What else do I need ??? (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided to take a jump. I have a sony flat screen TV, a Sony DVD, already have 2 Infinity speakers and a sub woofer. The receiver is NOT digital so I figure I need a new receiver and 3 speaker's right?

I don't want to sound like a cheap ass but that's the way it is. What's the bottom line on 3 speakers (middle and 2 backs I would assume and a digital receiver. Is this doable for 7-800 bucks?

Is American TV or Circuit City ok places?

Thanks

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hello fellow Wisconsinite!

I'm would think you could find a basic digital receiver/amp for around $200 - $250.

I haven't priced speakers in a while, but I would think you could find something decent for the remaining $450-600. I don't know how picky you are about your sound, but you may want to try to match your existing infinitys... ideally for any HT setup, each channel should be "acoustically matched" to provide a seamless audio image around the room. The easiest way to do this is have the same brand/model speaker for each channel. Otherwise.. take a good listen to your speakers with your favorite CD and then take your CD to the store and have them play it and try to find something that sounds as close to your existing Infinitys.

American, Circuit City, Best Buy.. they all carry pretty much the same stuff... Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc...

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Rod,

Can you provide a bit more information on the speakers

you already have? Do you plan to use them for the main

front L/R or the rears? If you are planning to use them for the mains,

you may have a problem getting a 'center' speaker

that sounds good with them.

If you think you may have to

deal with this, or any, special problem, be sure and buy an A/V

receiver with the following features:

1) Pre-amp outs for each channel.

2) Center channel equalizer.

At the risk of drawing negative responses, I should say:

I USE MY WEGA's SPEAKERS FOR A FRONT CENTER.

JRS

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I was going to use me current speakers as the main L/R (thinking I could save a few bucks) and didn't consider the "matching sound" problems. (This is the newbie thread right?)
Is there a 5 speaker system on the market that is in a good price range?
As for using your WEGA speakers . . . .well . . .what can I say. My WEGA sure has a good picture! ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i recommend re-thinking your speaker configuration. as mentioned, timbre-matching is important (especially for the front three). it's going to be tough for you to find a middle to match your infinity speakers.

instead, i recommend you buy three new front speakers and use your infinity's for the rear. i think you'll get better matched sound that way. the rear's (although important) don't process that much info anyway.

i think you can get a decent receiver for about 300 bucks. i haven't priced speakers in a while, but i suspect you may find something in the 400 range. that should just about match your budget.

my own advice: build your system in "phases" if necessary: get just the center, or just the mains, etc. i feel it's a smarter move to buy the quality component the first time around. especially when it comes to speakers...there are people who are using the same speakers they've had for 5 or 10 years! i think my polk's are about 5 years old and i'm still happy with them.

i think you'll be happier in the long run. just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks