What else besides RP-91 does scaling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardH, Sep 19, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Looking for a new DVD player for my parents' Mitsu 65" HD-ready TV. I know that I want it to be progressive scan, no chroma bug, and scale non-anamorphic DVDs for a 16x9 screen.

I know that the Panasonic RP-91 fits the bill, but what else??

Thanks,

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

All of JVC's progressive scan players do scaling and have no chroma bug.

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

4. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Toshiba 4800 does scaling as well.

-Keith

5. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Tosh has the Chroma though. [​IMG]

6. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

How about the Panasonic DVD-RP82? Also what is this "chroma bug" I keep hearing about. I'm new so I wouldn't know.

Thanks

7. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Matthew_F, are you sure you want to learn about the chroma bug? Sometimes ignorance is bliss[​IMG] Many don't even notice it on affected players, others notice it and it is very bothersome to them
    Here is a link explaining it: Secrets of Home Theater - Chroma Bug
    Re: the RP-82, I have this machine and it is wonderful, but it does not scale non-anamorphic discs/4:3 material. I have the Mits 65819 which does not lock into standard mode with non-anamorphic and I can use the "expand" mode (with the "standard" mode the tv stretches the picture just like it stretches your 4:3 tv programs); however, I might have read somewhere the newer Mits do lock into the standard mode....can someone else confirm this?

8. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the link. It's very technicial! I also too own a RP-82 unit. The video is outstanding because everything has the "in your face" type of look because you can see the depth in the picture. I also own the RP56 as well. I have not compared them side to side yet because the RP-82 is not on my progressive TV while the RP-56 is on it so basically I'm basising my 82 thoughs on an old Pansonic TV/VCR combo, but it still looks great.

Intially did not want to get the 82 in the first place but I went to Video Only to see if they had the unit on display. The branch I went to is where my friend worked there so what happend was that I asked them if he had it so he said yup, we have one left since he sold so many of them. He encouraged me to get it because it was like a very good unit but I didn't want to yet, but he was going to sell it to me for 197.41(tax included) which no other company can beat so I did. I'm very happy with it so far, but I may get another one later.

9. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Richard, I have the rp91 along with a 65" mits and I found this player to have the best pic for the money period, and I have had many players in my home for demos(poor tweeter[​IMG] ) The only way you'll know is if you try them out yourself its time consuming but worth it[​IMG]
    bob

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

RP82 won't do scaling. AFAIK the only panasonic that will is the RP91.

I've used a JVC with scaling and now have a Panny CP72, which has the same video circuitry as the RP82. The scaling does look noticeably better than my set's zoom.

As Jeremy mentionned, and I should have, the JVC won't do scaling automatically if the disc isn't properly flagged, and has no provision to force the scaling manually. About half my non-anamorphic discs are not properly flagged. Abyss is properly flagged, Titanic isn't. Abyss looks almost as good as an anamorphic disc.

With Titanic and other improperly flagged discs, I could zoom with the player and get a picture that looked as good as the scaled Abyss, but there's a "zoom" icon on the screen that stays there unless you enter something like a non-existent chapter number or anything else that makes the 0 with slash through it icon come up. Once that icon comes on, it goes away in a second and the zoom icon is gone. This is a pain, of course.

I do find that picture quality with the CP72 is better than with the JVC, not drastically but noticeably. For 4/3 movies I like the Panny with the set put in Normal mode (gray bars generated by the set) than the JVCs scaled picture with black bars and the set in Full-just takes a while to get used to the gray bars.

The basic problem is that no one makes a player with the Sage chip for de-interlacing that also does scaling.

11. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Do the JVC players also scale 4:3 material, or can they only be used to scale non-anamorphic material?

thx, l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

For a 4/3 movie, like Citizen Kane, you leave the set in Full and the JVC puts the 4/3 picture in the center of the screen with black bars on the sides.

I have yet to find a 4/3 movie on which this did not work.

13. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Steve, what JVC model does the non-existing chapter trick work on? Best Buy has the 500BK on sale and its bargain for what it has as it is. If the zoom icon could go away, id buy it in a second.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

p.s. my 100th post![not sumthin big, but yea!]

14. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Deepak,

It works on last year's models, don't know for sure if it does on the current ones.

It varies from disc to disc actually. What you need to do is enter something with the remote that will cause the red circle with slash icon that means "you can't do that" appear. That icon takes the place of the "zoom" icon and when it goes off, the "zoom" icon goes away.

I've managed to make it work for every non-anamorphic disc I've tried but sometimes it takes a while to find the right method. On Titanic, entering a nonexistent chapter number works, but it also sometimes makes the movie skip to somewhere in the middle of the movie, so ya gotta backtrack with the chapter down button.

Given that I haven't verified that the trick will always work on every improperly flagged disc, and the frustration involved in finding the right combination for an individual one, the straightforward manual override on the Panny RP-91 is a much more reliable solution.

15. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

The Malata N996 & DVP-520 can also scale, in any increments you want.

16. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

I hate to ask but what is "scale" for a dvd player?

Did I mess up by buying the Denon-1600 if this Panasonic is better?

17. Rain

Rain Producer

So with these players that do the "scaling" for non-anamorphic discs, what happens with non-anamorphic 1.66:1 films?

18. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

If a 1.66:1 film is flagged as widescreen, it gets scaled to fit a 16x9 display (even w/overscan, you may get very thin bars on the sides).

With the Malata, you can scale anamorphic & non anamorphic films to your liking (completely removing any overscan). That's one of the reasons this player is so good (besides perfect PAL-to-NTSC conversion).

19. Rain

Rain Producer

20. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

How much does the Malata go for and where is a good place to purchase one? how is the performance on the Malata? is its vidoe performance than the rp-91? How is its cd playback?

Sorry, so many questions I know!!
    I'm in the market for a player.

IF you can just direct me to site where I can get more info on the player. Thanks!